XXXXVII - Labyrinth

So here's the catch. Archie had a long lost son. And it happened to be a minion of our all-powerful arch nemesis, geared solely on killing us. How great was that? Not so pretty in the family tree.

"I do not wish to hurt you, Conrad," Archie demanded, lowering his rapier to the level of Conrad's throat. "But I will, if you force me."

In amazement, Conrad let out a soft chuckle. "Can you really?" he bickered.

Conrad touched the infinity mark on the side of his neck to summon his scythe.

Before Archie could stop him, black flames had already engulfed the boy's hand. Once the flames had died, a long slender saber which looked strikingly similar to Archie's had already materialized in his hand.

I could hardly keep up as Conrad started to brandish his weapon. His blade collided with the guard of Archie's rapier. The boy kept thrusting his saber to Archie's vital spots—the chest, the stomach, the eyes—but Archie's defense was near to impenetrable. It was almost impossible to find any weakness. Believe me, I had tried.

All the while, the balding old man who could only be Amos just watched the battle between father and son. He was yawning like the commotion was boring him to death. Sharifa kept pleading for his help but all he could say to her was, "You have managed to be captured on your own. Then free yourself on your own."

Apple thoughtfully tilted her head toward Amos and politely asked, "Should Apple kill your friend then?"

With a curious smile, the girl looped an arm around Sharifa's neck and gradually tightened her headlock. It looked like Apple was enjoying it.

Amos just shrugged, barely creasing a wrinkle on his face. "Do what you wish. Conrad was right when he presupposed that Sharifa would slow you down. We were not certain if she will still be alive if we find you as she is worthless in combat. But at least she had served her purpose. She is fortunate that you pity her so excessively, you even went the trouble of sparing her life."

Byron Flynn and Antoinette immediately came to Archie's aid, snapping and clawing at Conrad's blind spots. Soon, the boy was being slowly forced to double-back. He looked troubled when he realized that he was approaching the border of the labyrinth. Now if only Archie and the Elementals could force him into the forest, the Ethereals would take care of him for us.

Conrad was fast though. He managed to hold his ground even with three opponents.

As if reading my mind, Alexis pulled up his sleeves and touched the number seven symbol on his right forearm. A gust of wind blew violently, whipping at us. It seemed to be coming from Alexis' hand.

Everybody appeared stunned.

I secured Vincent's arm over my shoulder and shielded my face.

Seeing her chance, Sharifa elbowed Apple forcefully and thrashed out of the blond girl's grip. Apple stumbled back, her neon green eyes bewildered as she got up.

"You hurt Apple," Apple whined gently, despite the fact that she didn't look hurt at all. Her face was just blank. "How despicable of you."

A few moments later, the gust subsided. Alexis emerged from the strange whirlwind. He was holding a long sword with a long round polished pommel separated by two wrought iron guards and a narrow, undulating double-edged blade.

"I'll hold them off," Alexis said. "Go!"

I hesitated for a moment.

He gave me a gentle push, his eyes calm and determined. "We'll see you on the other side," he kept urging. "Go, go!"