Scene Four

I somehow manage to make it through my last two classes of the day with only one essay assigned. In Hollywood, I kept up with school by taking classes online, so I am enrolled in AP courses this year. It is better than freshman year, when I was given two essays and a couple dozen geometry problems to complete in the first week.

The bell rings and my science teacher, Mr. Millington, pauses in the middle of his lecture about the upcoming year. "All right. I guess that's all for today. There is no assignment for tonight." Everyone lets out a sigh of relief. "We'll continue tomorrow, and then there will be work assigned, so enjoy having no homework while you can!"

I silently thank him for not giving me any more work to do tonight as I place my binder in my backpack and swing it over my shoulder. I wait for Kat, who is sitting next to me, to finish packing up her stuff, and together, we head to drama class, which is located in the auditorium.

When we walk into the auditorium, there are already a few students talking to each other in groups among the rows of red, plush chairs. I drop my stuff off in the back row so I can grab it when I leave for the day and walk to the front of the room and up the stairs to the stage, where I find my old drama teacher and acting coach, Robin Murrick.

As soon as she finishes talking to another student and begins writing something down on her clipboard, I walk up next to her with a grin on my face. She doesn't notice me for a second.

"Robin! It's me!"

She looks up with a surprised expression and when she sees that it is me, she starts smiling as well.

"Hayden! I've missed you so much while you were away!" she exclaims as she pulls me into one of her infamous, tight hugs.

I suck in a breath as the air drains from my lungs. "Too. Tight."

She releases me with an apologetic expression. "Right. Sorry." She rolls her eyes because she knows that she forgets her own strength. "Anyway, I'm so glad you're back!"

"I'm glad to be back, too. How was class last year? What play did you do?" I ask curiously, since Kat never told me.

"Ooh, our class did an amazing rendition of Our Town. But, I know it would have been better if you had been in it, though." She winks. "You've always been my best student. Well, of course, you should know that! You were in a Hollywood production! None of my other students have gotten anywhere near as far as you in the acting business, and neither have I. I'm so jealous." I laugh. "I saw that you used some of my acting tips in the movie. Great work, by the way."

"Thanks! Your advice really helped a lot."

She smiles. "Well, I'm glad."

Robin and I had been emailing almost every day while I was in Hollywood because she has been my acting teacher since elementary school. I have learned everything I know from her, so I asked her for advice on particularly difficult scenes and staging while filming Royal Renegade. She helped me with my audition for the movie, as well.

"What play is the class going to perform this year?"

She smirks. "That's for me to know and you to find out at the end of the class. Think you can wait that long?"

I sigh and drop my head dramatically. "If I must."

We both laugh and then she leans in for another hug.

"It really is great to see you, you know."

I squeeze her arms and escape her grasp as quickly as I can to avoid being crushed again. "I'm glad to see you again. Emailing was never enough for me."