Chapter Three - Dreams

Azalea sighed as she looked out her bedroom window, she wished she could be one of those stars sparkling in the sky far far away. How she longed for a mother and father to take her away from this awful place. Her stomach grumbled and felt so empty.

A tear slid down her cheek as she laid down on the wool covered cot. “Don’t worry Ms. Zappa!” she vehemently whispered. “I’m going to get out of here even if it kills me!” With that, she laid back down and began to devise the plan for her great escape.

Her dreams that night kept her restless, there was a dark haired blue eyed woman calling her name

…“Azalea..” A shadowy face appeared. “Mi cielo!”(My Darling) don’t worry…you have a destiny.” The voice was ghostly and far away, yet she could hear every word and she wasn’t afraid.

Who was this woman? She continued to smile at Azalea and stretch out her hand as if to touch her and comfort her. Azalea felt safe yet confused at the same time, she didn’t know whether to go to the image or run away.

As the hand was getting closer to touch her, it would dissolve into mist and float away. Azalea flipped open her eyes and sat up in bed. She realized it was still dark. She laid back down and closed her eyes again hoping to see the beautiful ghost lady.

The next morning, Azalea raced to the kitchen to help Angelica with breakfast and hoped that she’d be able to talk to her about the Angel lady. She pulled her black hair back into a ponytail as Angelica turned around.

“Azalea” she smiled and instantly hugged her little helper. She held Azalea at arms length and looked at the young girl with sad eyes.

“I’m sorry you didn’t eat last night. “ten”, (here) she handed Azalea a tortilla filled with beans and egg. “Come'” (eat). Azalea didn’t hesitate, she took the taco from Angelica’s hand and finished it in less than 20 seconds, she was so hungry! Angelica laughed.

“Slow down, you’re going to choke!”

Azalea looked down sheepishly. “Sorry, I was just sooooo hungry! Oh..” she instantly felt guilty. Drew hadn’t eaten either. She looked down.

Angelica lifted up her chin. “It’s okay Azalea. Drew came in earlier, I already fed him!” Azalea’s velvet eyes instantly brightened up.

“That little sneak..” she laughed.

Now in better moods, Angelica asked. “Ready to make almuerzo?”(breakfast)  Azalea nodded happily. She began cracking eggs in a big bowl.

“Oh…and thank you Angelica for saving me and Drew yesterday.” For as long as Azalea could remember Angelica was there to protect her and save her and even though she was angry with God, for being in the orphanage, she was still thankful that Angelica was around.

She kept her going. Angelica smiled at Azalea.

“It’s Drew and I Azalea” Angelica corrected softly. “And it was my pleasure, especially if we got to see Beatrice stutter through her chubby cheeks!”

They both giggled loud enough to enjoy the moment, but not so loud where Ms. Zappa could hear, she’d end up ruining all the fun.

Azalea wasn’t sure of how to bring up the subject of the Angel Lady and kept glancing sideways at Angelica. Of course Angelica noticed Azalea’s nervousness and finally asked.

“What is it Nina? (little girl) She stopped rolling her tortillas.

Azalea looked up with her almost velvet purple eyes. 

“Angelica..do you believe in Angels?” She quickly looked away and began whisking the eggs in her bowl. The yellow yoke had overtaken the mixing bowl and was now turning into froth.

She continued to stare at the froth, not knowing whether to look at Angelica’s face for a reaction. She thought maybe Angelica thought she might be crazy for asking.

Angelica surprisingly tensed up and asked, “Porque (why) Nina? What brings this on?Why do you ask such a question?” Angelica completely stopped what she was doing and looked straight at Azalea.

Because of the intensity in Angelica’s voice, Azalea thought she had upset her. She was slow to look up at her mentor. When she finally did it wasn’t anger she saw, it was concern in Angelica’s face.

 “It’s just that I…I think I saw one last night.” Azalea finally stammered it out, she noticed how wide Angelica’s eyes became.

As if on cue, just then, Ms. Zappa stormed in.

“What is taking so long!” She glared at Azalea. Azalea quickly went back to whisking the frothy liquid.

“Now Gertrudis.” Angelica spoke. “All that is left are the eggs. Everything else is done. It will be right out.” Angelica stared down Ms. Zappa, who for whatever reason never argued with Angelica.

“Well, hurry up!” She ordered and pushed passed Azalea. Angelica then turned Azalea around.

“Come to my room tonight Azalea. We can talk some more about this dream you had.” Azalea nodded with curiosity now beaming behind her unique eyes. Angelica had never  invited her to her room. (This has to mean something then!) Azalea thought excitingly to herself.

Angelica’s room was small and tidy. Everything was positioned just so. Her bed was three feet from the window with cotton and wool sheets folded over hotel style.

Azalea felt like bouncing a quarter off of it. It didn’t even look as if she slept in the bed.  Angelica sat in the corner of the room on an old pine rocking chair reading a book.

The chair was knarled and rickety sounding, to Azalea it seemed that chair was going to break at any minute. When Azalea looked at Angelica a gush of peace swept over her and she instantly felt safe.

“Angelica?” she whispered. 

Angelica looked up and smiled that wonderful warm smile that made Azalea feel the same inside. Angelica held out her arms. Azalea quickly moved to Angelica’s side and gave her a big hug.

“Now little one, tell me of your dreams. Que sonastes? (what are you dreaming about?)

Azalea  instantly began retelling her encounter with the Angel Lady, all the while she noticed Angelica’s  eyes widen with more intensity. She thought maybe Angelica did think she was crazy.

“Angelica? Am I going crazy?”

“No Azalea, you are not crazy.”

She sighed and stood up from her chair. “Little one, there is so much to explain to you, I don’t even know how to begin.”

Azalea stood up as well and spoke to Angelica’s back. “What do you mean so much to explain?”

Angelica turned back around, the look of her whole person had changed. There seemed to be a glow about her that made Azalea a little worried. She took a step back.

“Um..Angelica..why are you glowing like that?”