Part 3

[Chavez’s POV]

After the girls left, one of Derek’s buddies, Aaron, suggested we go to his place and hangout. We all agreed. We were half way across the parking lot to our cars when I remembered that the girls came here in my car and I was their ride home.

“Shit.” I cursed and Derek turned to me.

“What’s up dude?” He asked.

“The girls came here in my car and I was supposed to be their ride home. So I guess you guys can go ahead, I’ll hang out with you some other time” Derek turned to the guys and they all nodded agreeing to whatever Derek was thinking. Cole came up to me and patted my shoulder.

“Nah. We’ll help you find them. Besides, we could use some chicks to hang out with. If you know what I mean.” He wagged his eyebrows at me.

“Dude, that’s my cousin you’re talking about!” I said in disgust.

“Dibbs on the other girl then!” A guy named Greg called out.

Derek sent him a harsh glare “Shut up Greg. No one calls dibbs on either of them. Let’s just find them and go.” He hissed.

We headed back to the mall and I heard Cole mutter “Just want her for yourself.” beside me. I raised my eyebrow at him and he shrugged telling me he’d explain later.

*1 hour later*

“Jeez. How hard is it to find 2 girls at a mall?” Aaron complained.

“Ughhhhhhh. Can we go now? I’ve got a party to go to at 10!” A guy named Tyler groaned.

“Hey Chavez, don’t you have your cousins number so we can just call ‘em up and ask them where they are?” Cole asked.

We spent the whole hour searching the mall for those two girls and still have no idea where they are. The guys got bored so we stopped at an arcade to play some air hockey.

“No, I forgot to ask for her number” I answered and the guys groaned.

“Wait, Derek. Dude! Don’t you have Kaycee’s number?” Cole asked Derek.

“Lemme check.” Derek took out his phone from his pocket and searched through his contacts.

“Yeah, I have it.”

The guys groaned again. “What the hell dude? You didn’t bother telling us you had her number all along?” Greg asked.

“It didn’t come up.” Derek shrugged.

“Well? What are you waiting for man? Call her already and ask where they are!” Cole told Derek.

“Cant.” Derek answered simply.

“Ugh, when was the last time you talked to her?” Cole asked Derek.

“The night of the party.” Derek said looking uncomfortable.

“That explains it.” Cole said more to himself than any of us.

Cole grabbed Derek’s phone from his hand and pulled out his own from his pocket.

“What are you doing?” Derek glared at Cole.

“Getting her number; if you won’t call her, then I will.” Cole said rolling his eyes.

“Whatever.” Derek grumbled.

Cole typed numbers onto his phone and threw Derek his phone back. Then he put the phone to his ear, drumming his fingers on his leg, waiting for Kaycee to pick up.

“Hey” Cole said into the phone.

“It’s Cole….. Uhh, From Derek – Where are you guys?—Is that on the 3rd floor?—were on the 1st floor—so have we—about an hour—meet us in the parking lot beside Chavez’s car—okay see you.” He shoved his phone back in his jacket and shot Derek a smile.

“What?” Derek snapped.

“Nooothhhinnggg.” Cole sang. Derek rolled his eyes.

“So where are we meeting them?” Derek asked.

“Parking lot; let’s go.”

Me, Derek, Cole, Aaron, Greg and Tyler all got up and headed for the parking lot. As we walked, I wondered how Derek knew Kaycee and why I felt as if something was going on between them. I’d better ask Cole when we get to Aaron’s place or Madison when I get home.