Black Equation - Chapter 12*

Chapter Twelve

Hanade's voice faded into the background as the thin mobile fell from Faye's grasp. Its muffled crash onto the luscious carpet echoed inside the tensed room. Her eyes couldn't seem to focus, her attention both drawn towards the limp body on the floor and the vile creature standing before her.

"W-What --" she started saying, but her lips trembled so much that she couldn't let a whole word out. The stranger paced towards her, but each step he took forward, Faye responded by threading backwards.

"Oh, don't be so afraid," he said with an all-too-friendly tone. "I won't hurt you."

Actions speak louder than words.

He had no right to reassure her, after what he did to Jared. She could see it in his eyes. He had the same eyes as Hanade. Not in the literal sense, but both cold and hard to discern. Eyes that had seen too many a death. The eyes of a real murderer.

The guy calling himself 04 stopped in the middle of the room and turned around. As if reading her thoughts, he smirked, "Don't worry. He's not dead."

Faye watched the rise and fall of Jared’s chest; the fear that gripped her finally evaporating. She wasn't afraid of the stranger. It was the thought of losing Jared that pained her to the point past terror. Knowing that he was simply unconscious relieved her.

Summoning all the strength she could muster, she returned her thoughts to the white blonde guy. He looked kind of familiar, in a sense. He was clearly not American, and by the aura he emitted, not a common folk either.

"What do you want?" Her voice was calm and steady, her arms folded on her chest.

The other guy frowned, "No need to be stuffy. I'm not here to harm you. I'm a lot better than 06."

"06?"

"Come on! You've met him." He walked towards the couch and sat down."Sorry to be rude, but I gotta help myself. You didn't ask me to sit. You need to be hospitable to visitors, right?"

"That's a helluva thing to say for someone uninvited."

He laughed. "You're not afraid? That's good. 06 was not mistaken when he described you."

"By 06, do you mean -?"

"Harude, Harate, something like that."

A can of beer came flying from somewhere, aimed towards 04. He simply raised his hand, catching the can. Wrong. It gravitated towards his hand. Faye couldn't miss how the can changed the direction of its projectile. It was too unnatural.

"It's Hanade," the black-haired guy corrected. He was leaning on the doorway. His face was crumpled with anger and displeasure, an expression Faye had never seen before. Obviously, those two weren't on good terms with each other.

"Wha! Fast!" 04 chirped merrily, "I didn't think you would actually come here. You got guts, man. You're already stalki-"

"Don’t yap,” Hanade was expressionless. “Leave."

04 didn't seem to be reading the mood, but Faye did, and the last thing she would want was her suite burnt black. Suddenly, the lights flickered. Both men were already standing, glowering at each other.

"Learn your own place, 06. I'm your superior."

Superior? Faye didn't like sound of their voices. Hanade's voice was too bored, nonchalant, like he wouldn't give a damn whatever happens to anyone. On the other hand, 04's voice was too enthusiastic, which makes him even scarier. He gave off the vibes that he could kill even a child without feeling a thing, as if it was a mere joke.