Chapter 1

I checked the clock, it was 8:00PM, I had 45 minutes left until bedtime. I decided to read my library book in the family room, my mom and dad were watching television in there but i could usually tune it out. i could hear my sister singing "Umbrella" in the bathroom, she was showering. I had read 2 chapters when I realized it was already 8:30PM and my sister called for me, I shimmied off the recliner and ran to the bathroom door to see what she wanted, she told me to get her some towels since she forgot to grab them. The hall closet had tons of stuff in it, there was our towels, candles, some christmas and halloween decorations, and all the stuff great aunt Jeanine has given us over the years (we bring it all out when she comes over). I grabbed 2 towels and ran back to the bathroom and knocked on the door, Krystyna opened the door a crack and popped her hear out, I handed her the towels, she smiled at me and said thank you then quietly closed the door. I went back to grab my book from the coffee table and get changed into my pajamas, my book wasnt there so I just went to change and say goodnight to everyone. I ran down the hallway in my High School Musical PJ's and jumped onto my dad's lap (I was always a daddy's girl) I kissed him on the cheek and hugged him, then hugged and kissed my mom and asked her if she knew where my book was, she didn't know. I walked to my sister's room which was right across from mine, her door was closed and I could hear music, I knocked on her door and waited a bit, there was no response, I always said she needed a doorbell for her room. I knocked loudly and she actually answered, she opened the door and was towering over me in her baggy school shirt and sweatpants. She was always tall, at least that's what my mom sayed, I'm pretty sure she was about 5'9 and she was only 17! Krystyna asked what I wanted with a hint of attitude, I responded by hugging her waist and asking if she knew where my book was, she told me to check the hall closet. I thanked her and she kissed me on the top of my head and said goodnight. I checked the hall closet and sure enough the book was in there, I had to go really close to the shelves of the closet and go on my tippy-toes to reach it, I started asking myself why I would put it on one of the higher shelves when the closet door got slammed shut. I could see my sister through the tiny cracks in the closet door, she was laughing at me, I tried to open the door and it was locked, of course. I hated when she did this, I was small enough that the closet doors could close while I was in it. I could see my sister walk away from the closet, towards the family room, I started banging on the door until my parents heard. My sister was getting in trouble and being told to let me out when there was a knock on the front door. I stopped banging on the closet door, I think a part of me knew something bad was going to happen I just didn't know what. My family stopped fighting and my dad answered the door, I could hear quiet conversation and then some hushed gasps, the door closed and I could hear a voice that I knew but couldn't put a face to. The man was in my house. I could only see my sister, my mom and dad were just out of view, Krystyna kneeled down on the carpet with her hands above her head she glanced over to the closet, a tear rolled down her face, I could understand to stay quiet just by the look she gave me, I could see a gun now, it was pressed to her head, I gasped and put a hand over my mouth. She started pleading for her life and she was full on crying, I had never seen her cry. My mom was crying too, and telling Krystyna that she loved her so much, and telling the man with the gun to kill her instead. I don't think my dad said anything. The man walked over to our sterio and turned music on, it was so loud I couldn't hear anything anymore. I looked at my sister and started to cry, I tried to wipe my tears away but everything just became blurry. I tried to see once again but in the middle of wiping my eyes I heard a muffled gun shot, I didn't move, I started to crawl under the bottom shelf to try and protect myself even more. I heard two more gun shots and covered my ears. I'm glad my eyes were blurred with tears. I found a pair of ear muffs and put them on, I tried to think happy thoughts and eventually I fell asleep hoping this was all a dream.