Angelic: Chapter 27

“We’re still going to coffee, right?” Aaron asks the next day at lunch, idly picking at my French fries. 

     My eyebrows furrow together in concern.  I had completely forgotten about the occasion, and made plans with Rahim.  I look up at him, ready to ask if we can reschedule, but the look on his face is almost pained, and I can’t bring myself to do it.  “Right, of course.”

     “You made other plans, didn’t you?” he says with a small smile shaking his head.

     “Of course not!  I was simply confused because, as you know, I find coffee disgusting.  So if you mean ‘Are we on for hot coco’, then its mission go!”

     He still looks dubious, but I don’t care enough to argue my case.  I take a fry and twirl it in a little cup of barbeque sauce, popping it in my mouth.

     “That’s disgusting,” Mia comments sitting down next to me.  She places a cup of ketchup on my tray instead, like usual, and starts eating.  Honestly, I think I only eat forty percent of my lunch.

     “Well, that’s a tomato.  You’re combining two vegetables together.  That’s disgusting.”

     “I honestly don’t understand how you’re not completely obese,” she laughs, rolling her eyes at me, and continues to munch on my fries.

     “One of those perks,” I laugh, but stop myself.  Sometimes it’s hard to control myself.  The entire ‘angel’ concept isn’t much of a deal.  Though I still get an unusual amount of stares, it’s not as if it’s a huge part of my life.  It’s a natural part of who I am, and those who love me, love my angelic features just as much as my normal ones.

     Still, I don’t understand how those animals were so attracted to me.  For a while I considered that perhaps being an angel just made everything love me.  After all, angels are supposed to be pure and good, and just…perfect.  Yet, that’s so not me.  I’m imperfect, insecure, not usually the best advice giver, and swear too much.  It’s not as if my overwhelming goodness is attracting the animals, so what is it?

     “When the ocean turns south, unicorns will rule the world,” Aaron says suddenly.

     “What?” I ask, giving him my best incredulous look.

     “You know, of all the things I said to you, that’s the thing you remember.  Only you…”

     “Shut up,” I snarl in an attempt to hide my blush.

     “C’mon Sari,” he says, grabbing hold of my hand.  “Let’s go.”

     “A hot chocolate and a…coffee, please,” Aaron orders for us at the café.  It’s the same one I first visited, which immediately became my favourite place to go.  Something about the faded black chalk boards proclaiming the day’s special, the warm colors, the wide array of people, and the constant chatter is comforting.

     “Well, this is nice,” I say with a smile, gazing out the window at the bustle of people.

     “Yeah, it is,” he says with a smile.  He leans back ever so slightly in his chair, the way he always does.  Each and every time, I think that he’s going to fall over and crack his head open. “You had plans with Rahim, didn’t you?”

     “I had plans with you,” I correct, “And stupidly made plans with Rahim after.  I’m sorry about that.  Don’t worry though, he knows I’m here.”