Chapter 10

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot. Hope you enjoy the new chapter. By the way, if you like  check out my other work, or not. It's up to you. :)

(Reed)

The following morning, I woke before the alarm went off. Instead of getting out of bed I laid there and stared at the ceiling. My thoughts drifted toward Winnie and just like that I was reliving the kiss we shared. There was no doubt about it. The woman knew how to kiss. If she didn't accept my proposal of us dating it would be the only kiss we shared. I hoped it wasn't.

Just then, the phone rang, shattering the peaceful silence. A quick glance at the clock showed it was a few minutes before seven. Only one person called this early. It was my mother. Reluctantly I grabbed the cordless phone, jabbed the talk button, and muttered a hello.

"Good morning, dear."

"Good morning, Mother," I said less than enthused to hear from her. "How are you?"

"I'm alright," she answered. "Do you have plans for breakfast? I thought maybe you could drop by and eat with your father and me."

I groaned inwardly. The last thing I wanted to do was have breakfast with my parents, but I couldn't very well tell her no. She was making an effort to spend time with me and the least I could do was meet her half way. "What time do you want me there?"

"Eight o'clock would be fine," she said, sounding cheerful. "I look forward to seeing you, dear."

Wishing I could say the same, I said goodbye and returned the phone to the base. There went my morning. With a heavy sigh I slipped out of bed and made my way to the bathroom. Once there, I turned on the shower, took off my boxers and pajama pants, and got in. I adjusted the water temperature and stepped under the shower head. With any luck I could drown myself.

By the time I stalked into the kitchen fifteen minutes later my mood hadn't improved. I was dressed for work in a dark blue suit, white shirt, and blue striped tie. Lorna was pouring herself a cup of coffee. I wished her a good morning and asked her to make one for me. I would need caffeine if I was going to have any chance of making it through breakfast with mother.

"What would you like for breakfast?" she asked me as she prepared a cup of coffee.

"Cyanide," I replied dryly.

"Let me guess." Lorna handed me the cup. "You're going to see your mother."

"Yes, and I can't wait," I said sarcastically. I took a drink of coffee. "It should be loads of fun. She called and invited me to breakfast. I couldn't say no."

"Of course not." She smirked at me. "Good luck."

"Thanks." I knew I was going to need all the luck I could get.

Martin, my parents butler, let me into the house forty minutes later. He led me to the dining room, where to my surprise I found Winnie sitting at the table talking with my parents. I thanked Martin and then moved toward the table. As I drew near everybody stopped talking and looked in my direction.

"Ah, you're here." Mother pushed back her chair and stood. "I'll see if breakfast is ready." She turned to my father. "Bradley, be a dear and tell Martin we are not to be disturbed."