Fire.

College is fun, they said, it’s the best time of your life, they said.

I woke up to the sound of my little sister screaming for her pink pacifier. My mom insisted on hiding it since Lisa’s pediatrician warned my mother about how dangerously addicted my sister is to sucking that thing. I glanced at the clock, it was 7.30am and I was late, which was totally normal, giving my extremely messed up sleeping schedule. I ran into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and I looked at my reflection in the mirror, yep, I was definitely having a bad hair day. I put on skinny jeans and a hoodie, tied my hair up in a neat high ponytail and went out through the back door, walking on the tip of my toes and hoping to avoid my mother’s morning lecture about how important breakfast is, showering me with invalid arguments about the dangerous effect it has on my grades. I never understood how she has always managed to find a connection between two totally different things.

 I was heading to my first British History class when I bumped into Dylan Stanton, my kindergarten crush. Great. I haven’t seen him since High School. He’s definitely been working out, his hair grew darker, and his tattooed arms are now more muscular than ever. He smiled at me and I smiled back. I headed to class and was surprised to see Megan waiting for me in the entry.

‘’Ella!’’ She called and gave me a bear hug. I struggled to breathe. When she let go I saw her grinning.

‘’O-Oh, I don’t like that look on your face. Spill it!’’

‘’We’re invited to a party at Dylan’s lake house!’’

‘’Megan! Finals are in two weeks. Are you out of your mind?’’ I hissed.

‘’Come on, Ella, don’t be stubborn. It’s just one night, it’s harmless!’’ she said staring at me with those puppy eyes that get me every time.

‘’Fine.’’ I sighed.

I rode home with Megan. I was too tired to look for my keys, so I knocked. My mom opened the door; I kissed her cheek, threw my bag on the floor and sprawled on the couch.

 I was getting ready for the party when my phone rang. 

‘’Hi Dad!’’ I said with a smile on my face.

I loved my dad, he was so understanding and he knew how to keep up with my mood swings. We talked about the usual stuff; college, my mother, boys...

"Ella sweetheart, I'm saving up to buy you a car." I almost choked.

"Dad! You don't have to do that I was going to get a job at Barney's!"

"I am buying you a car. End of discussion."

"Thanks Dad, I gotta go, I have a party to attend!"

"Have fun and don’t do drugs. I love you." I laughed,

"Love you too!"

I finished my make up and put on my black Christian Louboutin boots. I grabbed my purse and leather jacket and got out.

"Midnight's your curfew!" I heard my mom shout.

Megan was waiting for me in the Audi. Her blonde curls resting on her bare shoulders. I’ve always envied her for her looks; she looked flawless without putting any efforts in it. "Ready?" She asked. I nodded and we took off.

The lake house screamed rich and famous, I must give that to Dylan.

  I stood in the doorway for two minutes watching couples sway with the music when Dylan's voice brought me back to reality. "You made it!" he said smiling at Megan. For a second, I thought that he was addressing me, but of course, he wasn’t.