Chapter Fourteen

Grant returned with two tickets to France in his possession. “We can stay for a few days and then decide what you want to do from there,” Grant told Miranda. Miranda gave him a smooch to thank him.

Grant soon excused himself to make a few calls to his family and organise the accommodation. Miranda knew he was dying to see his family and she felt relieved that he wanted her to come too. She strolled around the airport and bought a few trashy magazines to keep her up to date with the celebrity gossip. The call came to board the plane to France. Miranda went to the bathroom, one last time as she dreaded going to the toilet while in the air. Hopefully she could hold her bladder. Once they found their seats and became comfortable Grant turned to her, “I called Alexander. He will pick us up from the airport. I have also spoken to my mother, she is organising the guest bedroom as we speak,” he smiled. 

“Thank you. I cannot believe you have put up with all my dramas for so long.”

Grant looked deeply into her brown eyes and her heart skipped a beat. “Miranda, your dramas create who you are and you are perfect.”

A thought occurred to Miranda. She was going to meet Grant’s family; this was a big step in their relationship. Panic rose as she wondered what they would think of her. “Have you ever brought a girl home to meet your parents?” Miranda asked Grant as she suddenly became nervous.

“Yes, once. When I was 13 years old, I had the biggest crush on my neighbour and my mother invited her over for dinner.”

Miranda laughed, “Anyone else?”

“Only you my love,” he replied sweetly.

Miranda sunk back into the chair and was thankful there were no previous girlfriends she would be compared with, except perhaps for the young neighbour. They fell asleep on the plane, their bodies still in the motion of the Spanish way of life.

Miranda awoke as the plane descended. She quickly applied red lipstick and smoothed her hair. When the realisation set in that she had not bought any gifts for his family. When people normally visit from overseas they came packed with gifts. Miranda prodded Grant. “Sweetie,” Miranda half whispered. He slowly opened his eyes. He still looked sexy even after a few hours’ sleep. “Honey, I forgot gifts.” 

“What?” he murmured, unable to hear properly what Miranda had said.

“I don’t have any gifts for your family. We are going to arrive at your parent’s house with no gifts.”

“I’ve got it covered,” he said still half asleep.

Grant and Miranda departed the plane, when suddenly Miranda stopped in her tracks. Grant touched her hand gently, “Are you okay?”

“I cannot speak French. Your family speak French fluently and I don’t even know how to say hello,” Miranda worried.

“Bonjour,” he said in perfect French.

“Excuse me?” Miranda asked.

“That’s how you say hello in French.”

“Bonjour,” Miranda repeated.

Grant laughed. “My family are aware that you cannot speak French. They have perfect English.” Miranda sighed in relief.

As they collected their luggage, Grant’s brother, Alexander arrived. Good looks had run in the family. With his dark hair and relaxed manor, Miranda felt the angels had showered her with handsome men. The brothers embraced. Grant then introduced Miranda to Alexander.

They arrived to Grant’s parent’s home and it was m-a-g-n-f-i-cant. The land was huge and the house was just as big. Miranda felt like she had stepped back in time, as she stepped through the tall stone walls. The house was a piece of art in itself.