Yule

Harry Potter

Why did he take me? Why couldn't someone else have asked me to this? It's not like I don't like him, I do. I think he's a great person. But... I don't want to show up there with him. Especially where everyone will see me. I'd be the center of attention. I do not want to be the center of attention. It's terrifying, all their eyes on you as you walk center stage, as if you were The Queen.

I would have to be in the center of everyone's attention because I am going to the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum. The students who were chosen for the games are the important ones and will be applauded and forced to be shown, including their dates.

I fixed my hair, tugging in the loose ends into my up-do. Ginny was in the room with me, just slipping on her shoes, ready to leave and go to the Ball. Taking in a deep breath, I looked straight into my eyes. The mirror really didn't hide anything you wanted or didn't want to see. All I could take in was fright.

"'Mione? Are you ready?" Ginny walked up to me, placing her hand on my shoulder.

Blinking, I looked over at her and smiled. She looked beautiful in her green dress, it looked like it came straight from a flower garden party.

"I suppose." I said quietly, my lips feeling heavy.

She squeezed my shoulder than walked off, out of the dorm. I shut my eyes for a moment, letting my heart stop racing and my breathing come back to a normal pace. My hands felt clammy so I wiped them on my dress, that didn't really help.

Okay, Hermione. You're going to be fine. He asked you to go with him because he wants you to go with him. You have to be fine with the people staring at you. Just forget them and focus on Viktor.

Just a few minutes later I followed Ginny's footsteps, finding myself walking through the castle and to the dining hall. Most of the students were already there, all the stairwells were pretty much empty, other than me and my loud clicking from these heels. As I got closer to the Ball, my heart began to race again. The pictures spoke around me, saying 'Beautiful', 'Oh, I love the Ball!', 'The Yule Ball is a grand tradition, isn't it?'. I smiled back at them and finally reached the stairs that lead to the hall. I could hear the music, soft and classic. A few students stood at the end of the stairwell, I suppose waiting for their dates.

I took in a deep breath, looking around for Viktor. He wasn't anywhere. Maybe I had to go down to find him. I looked over at Parvati. She had on this beautiful Indian dress, it was pink and looked like silk. It was like she was glowing as she smiled and looked over at me, our eyes met. And suddenly, her jaw dropped, making my stomach jump. I could see she was saying something, but I couldn't exactly hear her.

I started to walk down the steps, holding the sides of my dress up to not trip. I was still looking over at Parvati when I saw Harry standing next to her, him finally noticing me. There was a moment when it was just him and I, staring at each other. My heart felt heavy and too hot to keep in my chest. His smile faded as he just stared at me in... awe? I kept on walking down and reached Harry, giving him a smile.

Viktor walked up to me, I saw him from the corner of my eye. He looked handsome in this red suit. It wasn't something anyone I knew typically wore, but the people he lived with did. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him as he smiled, taking my hand and leading me to the center of the Ball.

All I was thinking was Smile, Breathe, Pretend no one is looking at you. Viktor was literally my wall at this moment, I was holding onto him so I wouldn't fall. I heard people cheering as we walked, even some people gasped. Harry was behind me and Cedric was in front of us. The music got louder as we started to dance.