Chap. 8

A gasp escaped my lips, my hand flying over my mouth.

The coaches came rushing out onto the field, both from our team and the other team.

"Sophie?" Kylie asked me, grabbing my arm. "Breathe."

I watched as one of the coaches from our team slowly helped Bryce sit up.

"Sophie?" Clayton asked, coming up to the fence. "Where's his mom?"

"Work."

"You drive him here?"

I nodded, and he motioned for me to come onto the field.

I hopped the fence, hurrying to the center of the field.

"Your name?" the coach asked Bryce.

"I know my name," Bryce said, irritably.

"I asked you to get his mom," the coach said to Clayton.

"His mom isn't here."

"Did you drive him here?" the coach asked me.

"Yes sir."

"I need you to drive him to the hospital. I'll get ahold of his mom and have her meet you there."

"I'm fine!" Bryce protested.

"We'll see about that," the coach said to him.

Bryce went to stand up, and all the coaches, from both teams, rushed to keep him sitting.

"Well I can't leave if I can't stand," Bryce huffed.

"Cut the attitude," his coach snapped at him.

He pressed his lips together and gave him a sharp nod.

His coach stood up and extended his hand down towards Bryce. Bryce let out a frustrated sigh, but clasped the coach's hand and pulled himself up, a scowl on his face.

"Are you alright to stand?" the coach asked Bryce.

"Yes."

The coach let go of him, and I took Bryce's arm and guided him through the crowd and to my car.

"That was the most embarrassing moment of my life," Bryce muttered, as I pulled out of the parking lot. "Just take me home."

"I'm not taking you home."

"Don't start with me Sophie. I honestly just don't have it in me for a fight today."

"Then you might as well give up, because I'm taking you to the hospital."

Bryce let out a groan. "This is so fucking stupid."

I knew him better than he was giving me credit for, and I reached over gave his hand a tight squeeze, keeping my eyes on the road.

Bryce pressed his forehead to my hand, letting out a sigh.

"You know that I love you," I said, turning to face him at a red light. "And that you don't have to be strong for me."

He slowly sat up, closing his eyes. "It's hard not to fall apart," he said, his voice thick. "That was the scariest moment of my life."

I slowly eased on the gas as the light turned green. "Trust me, alright? We're going to figure this out."

He gripped my hand tighter, leaning back in his seat. "I've got a killer headache."

"We're almost there," I promised. "Let me know if you start to feel like you're going to pass out again."