All We Leave Behind - Chapter Four

Four

I awoke to the sound of my bedroom door swinging open. “Rise and shine princess.” It was Adam. He was wearing a different suit. My head was pounding.

“What time is it?”

“9AM, time to get up.”

“Fuck off let me sleep some more.”

“Not a chance besides your Aunt called regarding the wake. You should call her back, I think it may be today.” As I righted myself I felt my stomach lurch queasily. I sat at the edge of my bed waiting for the feeling to dissipate, it didn’t.

“I think I’m going to be sick.”

“Well, you don’t need me to tell you where the bathroom is.” He smiled at me, the prick.

“Oh god.” I ran to the washroom and emptied whatever remained of my stomach’s contents.

“That a boy, get it out of your system, you’ll feel better for it.” I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. I looked pale as a ghost, my eyes were teary and bloodshot and I had a bit of spittle hanging from the corner of my mouth. What the hell was I doing? “You still alive in there?”

“yeah.”

“K, had to check, you were a little too quiet in there. Don’t want my favorite writer dying on me now do I?” I never understood that. He had a host of famous and respected writers within his cliental, so why me? Why did he spend a disproportionate amount of time and resources on me?  I made him an insignificant amount of cash compared to the multimillionaire writers he represented.

I clutched at my head, it was throbbing. I turned the sink on and cupping water splashed it on my face. You’re getting too old for this John. You are really getting too old for this. I took one of my antacid pills. My stomach had a shooting pain as if a dagger had been plunged into it. I heard the phone ring.

“Don’t worry Mr. Bathroom, I’ll get it. Hello? Oh hello you. Yeah he’s here and I’m sorry for last night, I’m not really such a terrible shit. Right I’ll get him.” Adam talked on the phone very loudly, it was easy to catch every word he said. I probably could have heard him in the apartment next door. I emerged from the bathroom. “It’s your sister, she just said ‘just get me John!’ I don’t think she likes me.” He made his voice angry and high pitched when he said ‘just get me John’ imitating my sister. I’m sure she could hear him. She wouldn’t appreciate that either. Taking the phone I felt a wave of nausea wash over me.

“Jen?”

“Fuck I hate that guy. He really needs someone to just knock him on his ass.” I could tell she was already worked up. I didn’t know what I could say that would be safe so I didn’t say anything. “Did you speak to Aunt Beth?”

“No, she called though. I didn’t call her back yet though.”

“Well I spoke to her.” She sounded exasperated. “So, the wake’s today and tomorrow, and guess who’s not wanted there?” He wouldn’t do that would he?

“What Dad doesn’t…”

“No, he doesn’t want us there! I’m through with him John! If I never see him again I’ll be ok with it. He obviously wants nothing to do with us.” I felt weak like I could no longer stand. I slumped myself onto the ground my back against the wall I once again felt tears welling up in my eyes.

“Are you sure?” I fought back the tears. Adam was mouthing ‘What’s wrong?’ while sitting on the couch.

“Aunt Beth made it crystal clear. He doesn’t want to be there at the same time as us. He will leave the wake at times so we can attend. Isn’t that fucking kind of him!? We have a fucking window John. Let me see now, oh we can attend between 7pm and 9pm the first night and between 5pm and 7pm the second.” I shook my head. “He’s a fucking prick!” I cringed. It was hard hearing her talk that way about Dad, even after all this it was still hard.