Chapter 8

“Now what did I say.”

“Do not look at anyone else, don’t speak unless you say too speak, and stay by your side at all times.” I repeated my eyes on the ground, hoping I was pleasing him. His face was hard, the hand that was on my back dug in a little deeper. “Don’t play with me Amaya, you know what else to say.”

“I’m sorry my love it will never happen again.”

“No it won’t.” William said moving us into the new king’s ballroom the old king had died a week ago. His son was now king and he had ‘invited’ everyone.

The fear of being taken by the king’s men and killed was no more. I had bigger things to worry about like making William happy.

“Sit.” He took my hand tightly, in his. “You will look at our hands and if your eyes move . . .” his voice trail off as his grip got even more painful on mine. I held in my pain letting no one know how he was hurting me. As everyone around us talked and danced.

We sat like that for hours before William was ready to go.

“Sir before you live the king asks that everyone bows before him.” One of the king’s guards said stopping them at the door.

“Yes but we are in a bit of a rush, right darling.”

“Yes my love.”

The guards face grew hard as he raises his hand to point us to where the king’s privet study, “The king is waiting in his study.”    

Williams hand grew tighter as he quickly lead the way to the new king, I watched his feet as they finally slowed down at the foot of the king’s privet study. “Your majesty,” William said bowing his head as soon as they were in his study. “My apology for leaving so soon but we have business to handle-.”

“Do I know you?” The king said his deep voice moving easily around the room demanding attention, and respect.

“Will I have been to your-.” The king cute William off with what I could only guess was a wave of his hand.

“Not you . . . her, where have I seen you my lady,” My breath stopped midway out my lungs, my lips growing thin as I keep them shut.

William was angry I could feel his eyes shooting fire balls of rage at me.

“I asked you a question.” The king’s voice stayed cool but hit like a whip.

“Your majesty my bride to be is shy-.” William tried to say but was cute off once again.

“You can wait outside the door until we are finished here.”

“What, but your majesty-.” The guards came and took him off as he kicked and screamed at them until the door closed leaving only silences.

“Look at me.” his deep voice said once again, his shadow movement telling me he was coming nearer now.

My head lowered even more until I could only see my chest.

His voice was softer. “Look at me Amaya.” The sound of my name on his lips was like a soul deep caress making me unable to stop myself from looking up at him. My chest caved in on me then, I couldn’t stop my tears as I looked in to his eyes. “Ethan.” were the only word that was able to escape my lips.

He gave me a small smile as his hand came up, I quickly moved my face away. Ethan stopped his face turning quickly in to a frown. “Amaya I would never hurt you.” Ethan’s hand slowly fell away as he took a step back his eyes going to the door. “So you’re getting married . . . do you . . . do you love him.”

I opened my mouth to say yes, to tell him that I would never leave William, the same thing I told William, they were easy words, but in this moment, at this time . . . I couldn’t bring myself to say it.

“I have to go.” In somewhat of a panic I headed for the door, only to have a hand griped my arm, I let out a sigh of pain making him left my arm so he could take a look. “No stop.”

Ethan pulled up the sleeve of my gown then the other one, seeing the same thing, his face darkened with anger as he looked at the red and black scar that mirrored my legs and back. There was a shadow over us, an unseen shadow that ate at the silence. It was a rage of power that took the light from the room. “It was my fault I should never have disobeyed.”

“Are you telling me he did this to you?” It was soft barley a move of his lips but in it was a killers rage, his hands shacking Ethan moved to the door there was no words needed for what he was about to do.

“No Ethan it was my fault . . . William he didn’t want to do it.” I said pulling on his shirt, but Ethan didn’t stop.

Before I could stop him Ethan had the door opened and his hand around William throat. Although William had a beauty that was timeless Ethan had hard power.

“Please Ethan let him go he didn’t mean to hurt me-.” I was hammering at Ethan back as I spoke but Ethan took it all without a word. William slowly stops putting up a fight, as his lips started to turn blue. “Ethan please let him go, I’ll do anything just let him go.”

“You’ll stay away from him do you understand me.” Ethan’s voice was almost un-human as he slowly let William suck in more air.  

“Yes, yes just let him go.” I could no longer see, my eyes were watery with my tears “please.”

Ethan let out a roar of fury as he throw William away from him, I tried to run to Williams’s side but Ethan put his arms around me and pulling me back into his body.

“If you come near Amaya again I’ll kill you myself, now get out.” Ethan’s guards pushed William to his feet and out of Ethan’s way as he took me up to his chamber.

I tucked myself in to a ball when Ethan put me down on to his bed. When his heat came around me on the bed I tightened up, all too afraid of what he would do to me. But Ethan did nothing just put his arms around me, as if he could take my sorrow in to his body.

“I promised . . . after my mother die I would never hurt a woman . . . I would never be like my father.”