Chapter 15

Chapter fifteen:

I stared numbly at the TV not even bothering to watch whatever was on. I don’t know why Leah’s insecure threatening was bothering me, it’s not like she could come between me and Nate anyway. Maybe it was the crazy mind rambling of a bored girl, I thought.

A thud came from downstairs and I frowned. I switched the TV off and listened carefully waiting to see if it would just my imagination or even the TV. Another thud met my ears, and again and again.

“What the hell?!” I mumbled to myself.

I grabbed the baseball bat that I’d begun leaving next to my bed and slipped my phone in my bra with Nate’s number ready in case I had to call him. Ever since the attack I was way over cautious. I’d been in the position where I let the noise slip my mind and ended up attacked and would’ve been raped had Nate not jumped from his balcony over to mine.

Tonight the moon shone brightly behind wisps of clouds so there was no blaming any rain or thunder for the odd noise. I took a breath and silently opened my bedroom door just a little. No one was upstairs. Another thud sounded downstairs and I carefully stepped near the edges of the wall avoiding all the creaking spots on the floor.

I crept down the stairs with my bat held on my shoulder ready to swing in case there was an intruder. I was nervous… how could I not be? Perspiration budded across my forehead and upper lip and the cool air seemed to suffocate me.

I crept towards the sound of the random thudding and was already in the lounge when I realized the sound was coming from outside. I let out my breath silently thanking God that there was no one inside the house again. I stood next to the front door and counted to three in my head.

On ‘three’ I swung the door open and the sound of screeching tires met my ears as a car sped away down the road. I ran outside and tried searching for the car but all I could see were the tail lights shrinking away into the night. “Oh-kay?”

I turned around and leaned the bat on my shoulder as I walked back to the house and my eyes widened as I let out a groan. Whoever was in the car had been egging my house and the front of my door was covered in egg and eggshells. “What the hell?!” I cried.

“Whoa what happened here?”

I shrieked and spun around swinging my baseball bat as I did. Nate yelled and ducked down like the ground swallowed him. “Rox! Relax! It’s just me! You’re alright!”

He was holding his hands up and slowly standing up as he held my eyes. “Oh my God! I’m so sorry Naddy! It was just a reaction, I didn’t mean to swing at you!” I panicked.

He moved forward and brought me in to his chest hugging the air out of me. “Rox, it’s okay. Shh… it was a good thing, sort of. I’d rather you hit me than not swing and be attacked”

He pressed his lips to my forehead and kept them there until my breathing slowed down. My heart was racing and crashing against my ribcage. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nate could feel it against his chest. When my heart slowed down to its regular pace Nate pulled me back and took the bat from me.

“So what exactly happened here?” he asked curiously as we both took in the extent of the egging.

“I think that’s pretty obvious Naddy” I sighed. He chuckled and rolled his eyes before moving forward to place the bat just inside the door.

“Come on, let’s hose down the majority of it tonight before you have a fried egg house tomorrow”

I watched him walk around  to the side of the house where the tap and hose were and stood back as he turned on the water and began spraying the eggs off. I looked at him properly for the first time tonight and saw he was wearing black track pants and a white t-shirt. So simple and yet so delicious he should be illegal.