Prologue

MUSIC: 'Super hero' by Tim McMorris

Prologue

   There was one thing I've always wanted ever since I started High School. 

   Power. 

   My parents kept telling me that I already have this incredible power running through me. And while brawn is, you know, sort of missing in action, I do have my brain. According to them, the brain is the most important thing, not to mention, the most powerful. 

   "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Mom asked me while she secured me on the swing. She always asked the same question every time we played together, in hopes of hearing a slightly different answer. But I was only six at the time and I only knew one answer, and up to this day, I still wanted the same thing. 

   "A superhero!" I yelled as hard as I could as she pushed the swing harder, my arms extended up in the air, my fists balled up, pretending to be like Superman. 

   You can't blame me. Almost every kid's childhood dream was to become a Superhero. 

   Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Green Arrow. They all possessed extraordinary talents, and some of them have supernatural abilities that was out of this world. But they all had one thing in common. They were all dedicated to protect the public. 

   "Well, what are you waiting for? Christmas?" Ethel nudged me from behind, swiping her silver highlighted bangs away from her face.

   We stood quietly a few yards away from where Dino Valastro was standing. The twins Jake and Vito Romano were with him, leaning on my dad's old Beamer while they smoked their cigarettes. Dino was just as tall as me, although he was slightly beefy, thanks to all those football games.

   Just great, I thought to myself. Dino must've sensed us so Ethel and I quickly hid at the corner of the small restaurant where I started working at. I just finished my evening shift at The Grill but I was so surprised that Dino and his buddies finally found my new work place in such a short time.

   "Look, Nero, if you're not going to do anything, then I will," Ethel started folding her sleeves up her arms, her tongue hanging out from her mouth in concentration. "I'll teach those jerks not to mess with you."