20. New York

unedited sorry

“There’s nothing you can’t do, now you’re in New York. These streets will make you feel brand new. Big lights will inspire you, let’s hear it for New York.”-Alicia Keys & Jay Z

Zoey Willow Hunter

“Are we there yet?” whined Nico for what seemed like the millionth time in twenty minutes.

The weather in New York was absolutely horrendous. It was raining so hard that you could hear the sound of ever droplet crashing on the ground. Nico had bought one big umbrella for the both of us, even though it had been originally only for him (that selfish piece of shit), yet I was still soaked to my socks.

I clenched my teeth to stop myself from blurting out another insult at him. He was being impatient and it was rubbing off onto me as well. This wasn’t my first time in New York for the mail convention, so I knew where we had to go. We had to walk for twenty minutes because Nico went on and on about how creepy taxis were and because there were no buses available.

“Now, we are.” I said, sighing in relief at the sight of the big hotel, Tipton. Normally the bottom hall of the Tipton hotel was completely reserved for the activities during the three days.

Nico walked in front of me and pushed the door. I wasn’t sure if he was deliberately being an asshole or if he actually forgot that I was here, because my head crashed with the door slamming in my face.

“Ow! Ow!” I exclaimed, feeling myself get woozy. Nico just pointed at me and laughed, like a little b—female dog. I had to blink repeatedly to get the pain to stop fogging my thoughts, but I still couldn’t concentrate on anything.

There were black spots.

Maybe it was the mascara?

I wasn’t wearing any.

Feeling myself fall, I expected to crash onto the ground and get extra pain in my bosom. I just wasn’t lucky these days, was I? This was the second time in a month that I got hurt. The black eye Oliver gave me had just gotten off a week ago, now I had a bump bigger than my head on my forehead.

A pair of arms secured my fall and for a second, I couldn’t open my eyes. I felt someone hold me in their arms as strange people murmured how to help me.

“Mr. Mosby! The girl fainted!" said a voice nearer than the others. 

"I have to take care of everything around here, don't I?" sighed someone. 

Minutes or hours later —I was completely unsure— the pain in my head had subsided and I could actually think. My thoughts resurfaced and I opened my eyes, trying to drink in my environment.

I was on a couch somewhere in the hotel. My neck was already complaining from the uncomfortable cushions under me, but I was more concentrated on trying to figure out what was going on.

“Oh, finally, you’re awake,” said Nico, rolling his eyes. “You've been out for a whole freaking hour. Do you realize how much of a waste of time that was for me?”

“You could have left me in my hotel room, you big dope,” I replied, my voice coming out croaky and weird.

He shrugged and shifted his eyes to another person in the room. This time his eyes hardened and I could see his entire expression shifting to annoyance. I knew how his features were because a few weeks ago, he would look at me in that way.

I looked at whoever was sitting at the other end of the couch.

Ay papi.

“Are you feeling better?” asked the boy, his lovely hazel eyes widening in concern.