Chapter 5

I woke up in bed soaked in my own sweat. Why was I sweating so bad? Was mother having another one of her freak out episodes where she's freezing to death when it was actually 70 degrees outside? Then the memory of my horrible date hit me. Well it wasn't too horrible. I did get to keep the motorcycle. We'll call it a parting gift. 

"You're finally up?" Miriam sighed in relief.

"How long have I been out?"

Pierce answered for her. "Twenty six hours. What exactly happened on that date?"

I took a deep breath and scanned my room. My whole family huddled in to see me. "My date turned out to be a demon."

"I knew I should have followed you." Pierce was pissed. I understood he was only trying to protect me.

"It's fine. I'm fine. I can take care of myself."

He shook his head and Gabe was now joining him. It didn't matter to them how many intimidating dark creatures I have killed, I was still their little sister. 

"Obviously you can't. Laken you were bitten." Gabe felt the obligation to comment.

"He's died. I killed it and I got home in time. I'm safe." I was getting really annoyed with their big brother acts. I was freaking 21 years old. I was beyond legal.

"Laken what if you hadn't? This isn't a game. It's your life we're talking about." Pierce said it like I didn't know that.

Did I have the word stupid written on my forehead or something? "I can fight and process things faster than the both of you combined so what's the big deal? You don't seem to complain when I save you guys from being crushed by actively steroided demons."

My mother was silent while holding my hand in hers. I could tell my father wanted to say something but decided against it. He preferred us work it out amongst ourselves. He hardly intervened unless it was necessary. 

"That's because we're there for you too. We have your back but no one was there last night. You were alone and vulnerable." 

I threw my hand in the air dramatically. "Would you prefer I lock myself in my room and remain a spinster? This way I won't be in the devil's reach, right? Dude, wake up guys! God sends us in this broken world to mend what we can. I can't just ignore the evils when you're not around. They're coming after us. We just need to prepare ourselves."

My older brothers were huffing like a bunch of girls who didn't get crowned prom queen. Whatever. They can soak in ignorance and stubbornness all they want but they knew it was true. 

"She's right," my sister finally defended me. "We are their number one targets. Laken can't always be in your grasps. Besides she did exactly what you guys would do in her situation last night." 

"All we can do is pray and be extra careful." My mother smiled at me. It was the kind of smile that made you believe everything was going to be okay. 

"Next time someone has to be out alone be sure to tell anyone of us in advance. No one goes out alone unless we know where you are." My father directed towards all of us. My three brothers, sister, and I nodded in sync. There was no room in questioning our father. 

I cautiously got up and stretched my arms. "I need to take a shower."

Rob snorted. "Yeah you do." 

I took the sweaty pillow I was laying on and chucked it at him. His reflexes were a little slow and it touched his hands.

"Ewww that's sick Laken." 

I laughed and passed through their bodies. "You'll live." 

The shower was exactly what I needed to relax my tense and stiff muscles. And smelling like vanilla was definitely better than the funky odor I was supporting earlier. I threw on some sweat pants and a t-shirt before going back to my room. I was pleasantly surprised to see Paige sitting in my desk chair. She immediately got up and hugged me when she noticed me come in.