Score for you, none for me [short story]

This was it. The bullying, calling names, pushing… the pain was going to stop. Except I wasn’t the one causing it. My most recent ‘accident’ was a week ago, I got pushed on to the asphalt, where my head bumped on the hard concrete. My vision went blurry pulling me into unconsciousness. I woke up to the ever so familiar stench of the hospital. It was my head this time, which was bandaged up. They asked me what happened. I lied once again, protecting my bullies. Why? Because I didn’t want to go down to their level. The doctor thought it was one of my mishaps, since I’ve had many of those. Both my legs being broken, my arm, my wrists. I’ll tell you now, I’m not that clumsy.

It’s not all about the physical abuse, there was the name calling. Lesbian, sausage roll, emo, goth, slut are just some of the names they’d call me, but believe me when I say this- they can be way worse. The bruises all over my body were starting to hurt, the bruises that were now turning bright blue. I didn’t need any of this. It had to stop, and I didn’t know any other way except taking my life away. I lifted myself up on to the chair; the nerves were getting the best of me. I carefully placed the noose around my neck, I could feel the thick rope digging into my skin making it bleed. ‘Go kill yourself Layla’ they’d say to me and you know what, this is a score for you, I hope this makes you a lot happier. The rope was now causing a burning sensation around my bare neck, I lifted up my sweaty trembling hands to make the rope tighter. Heavy tears welled up in my eyes as I blinked them away, I needed to be strong in order to do this. And that’s when I let go, making myself drop off the chair. My whole life flashed in between those seconds… my whole miserable life. The chair toppled over banging on to the floor causing a loud thud. That was all I could see, I couldn’t breathe. I choked on the rope as I tried to free myself, but it got tighter and tighter trapping the air in my lungs. My limp hands fell by my side. The vision was fading away, causing everything to turn black. The last thing I ever saw was my mum’s shocked face at the doorway as she rushed over to my side.