Chapter 9

I am sooooo sorry that I didn't update it earlier, but I had the Asia Pacific Dance Competition and A Day of Love and a whole bunch of other actiivities going on. But I've got holidays coming up and I promise that I'll update it more frequently. I hope that you guys like this chapter! :D Picture of Hunter on the side! :D

Chapter 9

                Kayla raked a hand through her long dark hair, accidently making her hair stand up on end like she had been struck by electricity. Jenna’s disappearance had been worse than even she had possibly imagined. Taking a shaky breath, she forced herself to let it out slowly in an attempt to calm her fears and anger. Biting her bottom lip, she turned to face Coral.

                “When did the children get out of the tunnels?” she asked, trying to swallow the quaver in her voice.

                Coral shook her head abruptly. “We’ve been keeping the children in the tunnels under the school because we were afraid that his army might return. Wes noticed that Jenna was missing but he thought that she was somewhere else in the tunnels in a different group of protection. There were a lot of kids there but he assumed that she was there… Unfortunately, he was wrong; she had disappeared.”

                Kayla gritted her teeth, hands clenched into fists in her lap. Troy laid a comforting hand on her arm; it took all of her willpower not to shrug his hand off. Digging her nails into the palms of her hands, she was grateful when Dahlia spoke up to claim Coral’s attention.

                “Did any of the other children vanish?” she asked. “Is it possible that they were targeted to become… leverage?”

                Coral shook her head violently once more. “We were very careful. After Jenna’s disappearance was confirmed, we checked up on all the children to make sure that they were safe. Not a single other child vanished which is good.”

                “For them, not for Jenna!” Kayla exclaimed, unable to bite her tongue in time.

                Coral’s face hardened slightly at Kayla’s rude exclamation, but before she could unleash her disproval, a diversion appeared in the form of Sapphire, who had changed out of her chocolate-covered clothes into jeans and a T-shirt. She smiled at all of them before sitting down and taking a biscuit from the plate of food in the centre.

                “Hi, Sapphire,” Troy greeted her quickly to cover up Kayla’s loss of temper.

                “Hey,” she said. “What have you told them so far, Mum?”

                Coral’s face softened slightly at the sight of her daughter. “I just told them how Wes viewed Jenna’s disappearance. You already know all about that.”

                Sapphire nodded. “I have to go and check up on Raven. I promised Jared that I would be back to make sure that she’s okay; he can’t save her without using his potions and if something happens to her that his potions can’t fix, he can’t rescue her. And I still have to make sure that the injured victims in the battle are okay… or at least healing.”

                “Why did you come here?” Troy asked curiously.

                Kayla rolled her eyes expressively. Troy sometimes acted so stupid, it got on her nerves. Inwardly, she wondered how Dahlia coped with him. In actuality, both of them were smart, even though they were sometimes hopelessly ignorant about the magical world.

                “She lives here, Troy,” Kayla retorted.

                Sapphire laughed lightly, even though it sounded a little forced. Jenna’s disappearance caused worry lines to appear on her forehead. “Tam wanted me to take a break. From healing magicians and Moon Children, I mean.”