Epilogue

Two Years Later

"Joe!" Laurel called from the kitchen.

"Yes, Mom?"

She smiled. It never got old. When Joe had asked her if he could call her "Mom" she'd been overjoyed. Not because she'd wanted to usurp the rights of his biological parent, but because she realized that he knew how much she genuinely loved him. No one who didn't know their circumstances would ever guess that she hadn't given birth to him.

"Are you almost ready?" she called back.

"Yeah!"

It was his twelfth birthday and all their friends and family were coming over to celebrate. Joe was super excited because his best friends were coming too. Glancing at the clock, she knew that arrivals were imminent.

My family.

One month after Slade's return they'd married in a small, private ceremony. Joe and Oliver had joined the wedding party as the two groomsmen and Felicity had filled the role of her single bridesmaid.

Both the bride and groom had been decked out in Drama Queen originals that Thea had designed and custom made for them in record time. The rich cream one shoulder, A-line chiffon gown with lace appliqués and beading on the bodice had been simple and comfortable, yet romantic and elegant all at the same time. Laurel had never felt more beautiful. The look in Slade's eyes as he'd watched her walk down the aisle on her father's arm had only reaffirmed the feeling. She'd never forget how handsome he'd looked in his black suit with a cream waist coat, shirt and silk tie.

The day itself had been perfect - exactly as Laurel had always imagined it would be. Neither of them had wanted a large extravaganza since all they'd really cared about was finally being together and getting on with the rest of their lives.

And life truly was good. Looking out of the window she could see the tables that had been set up in the back yard to the side of the pool. Just earlier that morning Slade had secured a net over the aquamarine water to ensure that all the children would be safe if they ran outside to play.

She loved their home. They'd purchased the four bedroom house with a pool and double garage in a leafy suburb not far from the City soon after their marriage. It had become very clear that her old apartment wouldn't be able to accommodate all of them for long.

She'd also gone back to work. CNRI had given her her job back as soon as she'd asked for it. She still enjoyed the sense of purpose she derived from it, but it wasn't her whole life anymore. With a family of her own, she'd cut down significantly.

She turned as he heard a commotion behind her.

"I'm going to catch you!" called Slade as a giggling little girl came running toward her.

Laurel laughed as she caught her daughter and lifted her into her arms. At fourteen months old she was a bundle of boundless energy.

"Da-da-da-da!" she repeated, charming her father with a toothy grin.

As he approached, she launched herself at him, squealing in delight as he lifted her high and twirled her around.

Sarah had been their honeymoon surprise. She'd had fallen pregnant immediately and they'd both been delighted, but no one more so than Joe. He'd longed for a sibling, making his desire known before they'd even married. It brought her a lot of joy to see how much he loved his sister and how much as she adored him.

Looking at father and daughter, Laurel noted their similarities. Sarah had inherited her fair complexion, but she had Slade's dark eyes and hair. Watching them together never failed to make her slightly emotional. Slade was an amazing father to both of their children and each one idolized him in turn. His daughter, in particular, had him wrapped around her little finger.