Chapter 3.

Chapter 3:

“Breakfast.” Chimed Celia, the nurse who basically did everything for me. She became one of my best friends at the hospital. The doctor had lied to my parents, he said I’d only be here for three days yet here I am now, going on week two. “We got the usual, hon. Pancakes, you still like those right?” I croaked as I sat up and was blinded by the sun light. Celia did this every morning, woke me up forcefully by the wretched sun. “I thought you did. Come on, eat up. Your too skinny, girl. Get more meat on your bones and maybe I wouldn’t nag you about eating.” She sat on the chair next to my bed as I shoveled pancakes into my mouth. “I’ve got something for you, Tabetha.”

“A present? I wish I knew earlier, I haven’t gotten you anything.” Everything around me still had the haze from sleep; so when something came flying at me, I didn’t notice it until last minute and ended up smacking myself in the face when I went to catch it. Celia laughed when I held it up processing it. “Awe, a muffin; Celia, you’re too good to me.” I took a bite of it and smiled as the sweet chocolate-y flavor melted in my mouth. “Ooh and chocolate chip too. How’d you know that it was my favorite?”

“Oh I don’t know, probably because you’ve been begging for one all week.” She smiled and patted me on my head.

Celia was in her early 40’s yet she didn’t look a day over 30. She wore too much make-up if you ask me; she has that natural beauty that make-up just hides. She has grey eyes and light brown hair that she usually kept in a knot at the base of her neck.

Although she was professional around her co-workers, she was a kid at heart and when she was around me, she definitely showed it.

When she stood up and flicked on the lights in the bathroom, she looked back with an evil smirk. “Can you make it over here or shall I help you?” She busted out in a villainy laugh as I frowned.

Almost everyone in this hospital thought that the amnesia, somehow, made me forget how to walk; so the whole time I’ve been here, they’ve been carting me around on a wheel chair instead of keeping it available for someone who needs it. Celia seems to be the only one who agrees with me, that was actually the conversation that made us friends. She tried to put me in the wheel chair but I refused her help and just hopped in myself.

“Hey!” She yelled and snapped her fingers in front of my face. “Stop daydreaming, finish your muffin and get ready. They gave you an early session so I’ll have the rest of the day to torture you.” She rubbed her hands together and smiled manically.

“Well I wouldn’t want to keep you from your fun.” I stuffed the rest of the muffin in my mouth and started for the bathroom.

“Take your time, I have to take this stuff back to the kitchen and when I come back, we’ll get you situated into your chair.” She said with a false enthusiasm. “’cause you know you can’t be seen walking down the hall. The doctor will kill me.” She smiled at me, grabbed the tray and walked out.

A toiletry bag sat on the edge of a white porcelain sink and two white towels on a rack. other than that, it had nothing other than the ordinary bathroom necessities.

A quick, warm shower chased away the dreariness from sleep but brought goose bumps all along my arms. I rubbed my arms but it took a while before the gooseflesh subsided.

I was pulling a brush through the flaming red tumble weed known as my hair when Celia walked back in.

“Tabetha, You ready?” she asked rolling a wheelchair into the room. Rolling my eyes, I sighed, placed the brush on the sink and threw my hair up into a neat bun.

I got situated in the chair and Celia rolled me to Dr. Boyd’s room. He is the counselor I’ve had to see since I woke up here. He is pretty cool, for a counselor. He doesn’t just want to know about me, he lets me know about him. We actually ran out of things to talk about the last visit, so he talked about his family, about how his son joined a soccer team this month. But when we entered his room, I didn’t see Dr. Boyd at all.