Chapter 8

So I have developed this annoying quality of suddenly bursting into random blabbing when I sense an awkward moment coming on. Zane was experiencing this quality at the moment, and I could tell by the amused, yet confused look on his face. Heck, I didn’t even know what the hell I was talking about.

“Um Katy?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you just want to start the movie?”

I laughed awkwardly, “Ya…” Woops I hadn’t even realized he was waiting on me to shut up so he could start the movie. I guess next time I should pay more attention instead of just opening my mouth. So I couldn’t start talking anymore, I shoved a huge handful of buttery popcorn in my mouth. Zane reached out and squeezed my hand in what, I’m sure, was meant to be reassuring, but it surprised me so much I ended up choking on the huge lump of popcorn in my mouth.

“Oh sh$t.” Hissed Zane, “Katy are you ok?”

Well I’m choking on a lump of popcorn all because you touched me once; of course I’m not ok! “Sure.” I finally got out, “Water.” I hoarsed out.

“Crap ok coming right up.” Zane jumped up rushing to the kitchen. He came quickly back with a large glass of water trying not to slosh it on the floor.

I took it trying to gulp it down without causing myself to choke more. Of course I had to embarrass myself, I was having one of those ‘why does this always happen to me?’ moments. I looked over seeing Zane’s panicked expression. “I’m fine, just went down the wrong pipe I guess.” I said laughing awkwardly. I could see he was still worried so I squeezed his hand. He smiled at me and we turned back to the movie.

Zane was thinking about something, I could tell something was on his mind by the way he kept twitching throughout the whole movie. I tried not to stare at him, but his movements were getting even twitchier and his whole body was tensed. I reached over and traced the tension lines with my finger, all the way up to his shoulder. And when he turned to me surprised I smoothed the frown lines between his eyebrows. I heard his breathing hitch and he subtly scooched closer.

“Katy?”

“Hmm?”

“Will you go out with me this Saturday?”

Now was my turn for surprise. He was asking me out? “Umm….I’ll think about it.”

His smile dimmed a bit but he just said, “Ok.”

I couldn’t look at his sad expression so I looked at the TV. but the credits were rolling and the movie was over. I know I should have gotten out of there but I had to cheer him up somehow, I couldn’t leave him like this. “Do you want to play a game?”

“How about twister?” He said smiling.

Well he seemed fine now. I glared at him, “No.”

“Fine….”

“How about we play 20 questions.”

He hesitated at first before saying, “Ok.” “But my turn first.”

I knew I would end up regretting this but it would give me a good way to get to know Zane better, and somehow my heart kept telling me whatever he asked me would be worth whatever I would get to ask him.

“1: what made you change the way you dress?”

“I got sick of wearing sweats every day, and I missed wearing my cute clothes.” “My turn, 1: where are you from?”

“Here.”

I gave him a questioning look. “I don’t remember you, and in my town everybody knows everybody.”

“Well I moved when I was about 10.” “2: what is your favorite color?”

“Purple. 2: why did you move?”

“My mom died so I moved with my aunt.”

I looked at him after what he said, the way he said it so bluntly made me think he didn’t even care that his mom died. But of course he must have cared right? “I’m sorry.”

He just shrugged and continued. “3: What is your biggest secret?”

I looked down, sh#t why did he have to ask that?? “I stole nail polish from Wal-Mart when I was five.” I blurted out.

Zane’s eyes flashed with something but it was gone before I could identify it. He started laughing, “Wow you’re such a rebel.”

“I know right.” I said forcing a smile. “3: Do you have any siblings?”

“No.”

Well he said that very quickly and kind of looked a little angry at the moment. What did I say?

Zane sighed before asking me this one, “ 4: Do you like Devlin?”

Where did that come from? “No he’s just a friend.”

“Oh ok.”

Why would he ask me that? Did I act like I liked him? D@mn I hope not. May be that was why Devlin paid no attention to Livi at school today. Well that’s going to change; I will make sure he starts liking her. While I was in thought Zane had turned to me and had been reading my expression.

“Katy this is off the record but have you made a decision about our date?”

With that one simple question I was torn. I wanted to go on a date with him, believe me I did, but I don’t think I was ready to. I had just started dressing normal again and that was a HUGE step for me, so for now on I had to start taking baby steps. For once in my life I actually listened to my brain before answering. “Zane I don’t think it’s such a good idea, sorry.”

His expression almost had me changing my mind, he looked so sad it was heartbreaking. He composed his expression before saying, “Well I’m done playing the game I have some studying to do, can we finish this some other time?”

“Ya sure.” I knew when I was being blown off. This was insane he didn’t like me that much did he? He walked me to the door and I hurriedly got out of there. I felt so bad because I really did want to go on that date, but I knew I wasn’t ready. Maybe if he asked again later on? That’s a stupid idea of course he won’t ask later on, I mean I blew him off the first time so he definitely won’t ask again.

When I got home it was a screaming match, I could hear my mom and dad in the other room. What the h#ll? I’ve never seen them fight before. Was everyone going crazy today? I tried walking hurriedly to my room before they saw me, but I stopped when I heard what they were yelling about; my heart stopping.

“Gracey why would you do this?”

“I’m sorry John but I couldn’t have him coming around here. I told him to stay away from her if he knew what was good for him.”

“Still! You could have gotten hurt he’s a sicko!”

“I was prepared I brought pepper spray.”

“D@mn it Gracey you don’t understand do you? You probably just egged him on, you know how he is he likes a challenge doesn’t he? So now you just made him seeing Katy a huge challenge, so now he’ll do whatever it takes to see her!!!”

Was I going crazy or were my parents talking about Sam?

“He was locked up, neither of us really know Sam anymore.”

My breath hitched, my mom went to see Sam? How could she? I ran to my room not wanting to hear another word. This was not happening, what if he did try to come see me? Before I knew, I could feel tears streaming down my face. I was not going to let Sam ruin me. He was not going to have any more control over me or my life.

Author’s note: Soooo the next chapter will be pretty interesting, hope you liked this one!:) Also i would like to dedicate this chapter to Summer_Chick because she has followed me through these chapters and given me inspiration to upload:)