Chapter 3: Armed and Ready

"Ahhh!" Boris sighed loudly. "Now that is what I call a haircut! HAHAHA!"

          We were in the barber shop and Boris shaved my hair. Now I have short hair about two millimeters long. I shaved off my facial hair with aftershave and a razor. It felt so good to be free from all that hair. I even asked Boris if he needed a shave, because his hair was getting pretty long. And his beard and mustache was growing pretty big too. But he told me that he preferred to grow it out. I washed off the remaining loose hairs from a sink, and we were off to find a shop full of weapons. As Boris was leading me to the gun store, he explained to me about what has happened in the past from his point of view.

"The year was 2015." he started. "Russia was in the grip of death. We tried everything to eradicate the infected men women children. But the special forces and Russian army, even the strong Spesnaz themselves cannot stop it spreading. I was Spesnaz Operative giving orders to my men. We went through house to house, building after building, streets through streets using a device our government gave us. Device shows person is infected by virus or not..."

"How did the government know how to create a device to find the infection in bodies?" I asked.

"Don't ask me. I was just there to follow orders."

"It seems like you've been surviving against these nightmares for a long time. You know what they can do. And you know their weaknesses."

"Well... if you been attacked by hundreds zombies and had your 5th wife and two daughters eaten... you would know how to decapitate zombie." Boris said.

"Sorry I asked." I apologized.

"It's fine. It's five years ago."

I stopped and looked at him "Wait, hold on. What year is it now?"

"It's... uh... year... 2020... I think."

What?! Could I have been in the ambulance truck for five years? "In 2015 during the new year, I was trying to arrest this punk for sexual harassment to a woman. He went crazy when she called the police. He threatened her life with a gun and took her hostage. The S.W.A.T. team was called in and I pointed my rifle at him. He shot me in the left waist, where I showed you. I went unconscious after that."

He gave me a weird look. "Umm... how the fuck you live after all them years?"

"When I woke up, I was in an ambulance truck. I had some medical bags hooked up to me. I knew nothing about what happened. I have no idea how I survived. All I know is that I woke up in this nightmare."

"Well, this is no nightmare, but you are in actual hell! BAHAHA!!!" Boris teased.

I smiled. "Hey Boris, where are you mainly heading to?"

"After Russia fell under infection of the Nezhit', I took plane to America Los Angeles, California. I need go to Fort Williams."

"Fort Williams? Where is this place? And what is this place?"

Boris gave me a sigh and rolled his eyes. "It is a Fort... ty tupoy? It somewhere in... Washington State."

"So why are we going there?" I asked.

"Mostly, people go there to survive. I do the same."

"Right after we raid the gun shop, da?" I chuckled.

He gave a hearty laugh and slapped my back so hard that it took the air out of me. "HA! Learning one Russian word?! You're genius, Ridley! HEH HAHA!"

I laughed with him.

Boris then unstrapped his knife from his leg and tossed it to me. "Here." Boris said.

I caught it. I looked at him with an eyebrow raised. "What's this for?"