Chapter 1: Lights went on again

Before the school assembly started, I found a familiar face among the crowd of students. Enter Mel Gibbs, budding school reporter extraordinaire and my only friend since the start of this school term. She was always on the hunt for news and gossip. Rumors have it that she personally found evidence of Queen Bee Sophia Roxanne's yearbook picture with her in braces from back when she was a freshman. Sophia never did live down the nickname of Braceface.

I did wonder why there was a blank in the spot where Sophia was supposed to sit during photo-taking session? Leave it to Mel to uncover these type of things.

As soon as she caught sight of my face, she pushed her way through the throngs of gathered students much to their annoyance. She simply paid them no mind.

"Sierra!" She squealed as soon as she reached me. After we exchanged pleasantries-How are you, Where've you been- I caught her up to date with rumors about there being a mysterious transfer student enrolling in our class. Her ocean-blue eyes shone like quartz diamonds as I recounted the rumors.

"You've so got to introduce me to him! I can't wait to see what he's like," Mel gushed enthusiastically. Her halo of frizzy blonde hair bobbed up and down as she bounced on the balls of her feet. I was already shaking my head, a smile tugging at my lips. Mel was always excited when there is news happening in our small school. She also happened to be the only person who I let my guard down around, allowing free reign over my facial expressions.

The principal used the speakers to get our attention. We separated and filed into our respective rows. Sadly, Mel and I were in different classes.Since I dallied with Mel too long, some of the students had already occupied the best seats.

I trudged up the small steps and searched for available seats. I took a seat at the back of the auditorium and crossed my thin arms. Someone called my name but since the lights had dimmed, it took me awhile to adjust to the dark and I saw that someone next to me was looking at me. My heart beat faster.

Vane Kelly, my senior in Track and Field and also possibly the cutest guy I've ever met. He tilted his head to peer into my eyes, and a lock of blonde hair fell into his eyes. I fought for control of my facial expressions which I'm sure is something akin to swooning and adoration. His dimpled smile undid me. I poured all my concentration into what the principal was saying and it worked. Just barely.

My hand had a compulsive urge to twirl my messy brown pinned-up hair like an adoring schoolgirl in the face of her idol.

Remember, he has a girlfriend. Who is the Queen Bee, Sophia Roxanne. With that thought, I tamped down my emotions.

"So, you going to the Spring Formal?" Vane asked, leaning on the hand rest. I couldn't think properly due to his proximity.

I wondered why he was asking me when he already had a girlfriend?

The magic of being close to him dissipated. I crossed my arms defensively.

"I am going to the Spring Formal. With a date. What of it?" Holy hell. How can I say that to someone I have a crush on? Vane looked visibly disappointed. Before I could backpedal, the lights went on again. The lights cast a shadow over us, the outline that of a guy. A very annoying guy who apparently took pleasure in my torment.

"Excuse me. Please don't flirt in the holy auditorium," Ethan, Vane's best friend, chided jokingly. Vane fist-bumped Ethan. Ignoring Ethan, I picked at a loose thread at the edge of my blue floral sweatshirt.

"Man, I wasn't flirting with her. I've already got a girlfriend," Vane protested. The words, though they ring true, stabbed my heart. I straightened my back and tipped my chin up at him.

"You heard him. Why don't you get going?" My words were like barbed wires. Hurt and confusion clouded his eyes and he started to speak.

"Whatever, man. We've gotta pick up the pace or tightwad Schubert will chew our hides," Ethan interjected, giving me a side glare out of the corner of his onyx eyes. I didn't care. I wasn't that interested in a guy who already had a girlfriend. Anyways, Vane was the one who initiated the conversation with me first.

They excused themselves and I was left alone. I pretended not to notice the inquisitive stares of students milling around and took off for my next class: AP Literature.

Scribbling answers in AP Literature definitely improved my day. Pen moving fluidly across the assignment sheet, brain dissecting every cryptic passage helped me regain my momentum. Finishing my assignment with twenty minutes to spare, I leaned back in my chair and surreptitiously eyed my classmates progress.

Almost all or most of them seemed to be suspiciously focused on their work. If you can call their heads bent over the sheets or drool coating their table dedicated. Some were apparently also trying to master the art of silent speaking with their friends.

I absentmindedly chewed my pencil, doubting my answer scrawled across the papers. Fingers traced the tiny scar on my left wrist which I got from a freak kitchen accident. The sound of the door opening drew my attention from my neat block hand-writing scrawled across the papers.