One

© 2014 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

"Madam Missus Milady Marie, how do you fare this fine morning?"

Marie giggled, the sound light and musical. "I'm doing amazing!" she exclaimed, bounching on the balls of her feet as her brown hair swayed wildly as she walked into my house with her brothers in tow.

"Captain Ryland and Captain Ryker," I saluted the twins, both of them smiling with cerulean blue eyes.

"At ease, soldier!" Ryland snickered.

Ryker's eyes widened as he hit his brother's shoulder. "Man, stop! Don't treat my wife like that!"

"Wife? In your dreams." He scoffed, sending me a friendly wink before plopping down beside his sister on the couch.

I shut the door behind them, walking over to the kitchen as Ryker made his way over to Marie's other side while turning on the TV.

"So how have you boys been?" I called out from the kitchen, lifting up the box of pizza I had gotten Mikhail to buy before he left for some urgent pack business.

"Good-"

"Ooh! Pizza!" Ryland cried out, lunging for the box once I settled it on the counter.

I scowled when I saw that Lost was playing.

"Ryker how many times do I have to tell you!" I snatched the remote from his hand, changing the channel to Disney XD. "Age appropriate TV shows!"

He groaned, thumping his head back on the couch as I turned to his sister.

"Madam Missus Milady Marie, would you like some tea and biscuits?"

"Yes, please!" she sang as Ryland lifted her onto his lap and began eating his cheese pizza.

"Then if you will excuse me, I shall see to your midnight snack." I gave a quick bow, smiling when she gave me a full blown grin.

Katya, Mikhail's voice filtered through my mind. We have a problem. Too many rogues for our pack to handle.

We'll be fine. I insisted, beginning to make Marie's honey tea.

We can't...Katya, there's too many. We're a small pack! Endangering the pack is the last thing we should be doing.

I let out a frustrated sigh. Then what shall we do? Give up the land? Move to our neighboring pack?

No. He said fiercely, then paused. Maybe we can-

Absolutely not! I hissed, gripping the edge of the counter tightly. I can accept a lot of things- but asking for help from Lycans is the last thing I want to do! Mikhaili, They'll endanger the pack more than the rogues- even I can't calm the packs' nerves when it comes to Lycans.

And they're the only ones who can protect us from the rogues.

At what cost?

I don't know, sister. I don't know.

Our link cut off, silence filling my mind as I dwelled on the fact that I would now have to deal with Lycans.

"Katya? Are you feeling okay?"

I smiled down at her small form as she tugged on the edge of my shirt. I crouched down, holding her pale shoulders. "I'm fine. Really."

The sound of the kettle beeping made me stand straight.

"Can I have some biscuits?"

I turned to see Marie reaching for the ginger biscuits that she loved to dip in her tea from the pantry.