Chapter 30- The Shadow

The alarm clock rang in the bedroom of Ash and Dawn; The sun shined through their window waking the two up.

"Well it's that time of day again" Ash groaned.

"Yeah" Dawn woke up, getting out of bed.

"I wonder who's going to battle next," Ash asked curious.

"Probably another random selection," Dawn suggested.

"Yeah, probably. Dawn.. do you think I will become a pokemon master?"

"What do you mean?"

"The competition.. I don't think I can make it through the league,"

"I'm sure you will,"

"I guess.. but the people I'm competing against.."

"You've faced them before. you can face them again,"

"Thanks Dawn,"

"I'm only trying to return the favor," she smiled. "After all you were the one who helped me when I doubted myself,"

Dawn and Ash left for the league building. As usual the group of trainers that were not eliminated from the league gathered and waited for the man to announce the next match. The man carefully read the next match aloud.

"Ash versus Tobias," he finished in a disturbed tone.

Ash and Dawn looked at each other with worry; Tobias smirked upon hearing those words. Both men walked toward the center of the stadium and looked at each others eyes. The crowd was silent, Ash and Tobias stood and stared. Ash remembered the first time he fought Tobias in the Sinnoh region. He lost horribly last time, but could he defeat him now? Ash had gained training from Cynthia for several months, he had to win. But the odds did not seem to favor his battle, of course to Ash the odds could be overrated sometimes. Ash released his pokemon Garchomp to face Tobais. Tobias smirked and called out Darkrai to counter him. Darkrai hissed softly to himself and floated back and forth, watching Garchomp. Garchomp snapped his teeth at Darkrai and drooled uncontrollably.

"Control yourself," Ash ordered.

Darkrai floated in a circular movement backward and glared back. Garchomp snapped it's jaw feriously. A referee came out to inspect the two pokemon; he checked each pokemon carefully to see if they were ready to battle. The referee finished and waved for the battle to begin. Garchomp sharpened his claws furiously. Darkrai scoffed arrogantly and leaned against a wall to slack off. Garchomp was insulted deeply by this action and hurled a ball of fire at Drakrai. Darkrai scoffed and dissappeared from site avoiding the blow. Darkrai teleported behind Garchomp, he sensed him and ducked under Darkrai before he could stab him. Garchomp punched Darkrai in the gut and shoved him back, Drakrai flew a few feet back and focused all his energy into a soft landing. Darkrai's eye flashed red, he hissed loudly. Garchomp stepped back and wondered what was happening to Darkrai. His trainer Tobias eyes flashed red and a part of his skin glowed a bright red in the shape of a bizarre image.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

"The curse..is being manifest," Tobias sniffed a clump of air and exhaled. "Yesss" he hissed softly.

"Curse?"

"It's a long story,"

"I'm willing to listen to it,"

"My story begins where your story ended.. in Sinnoh. I was afraid that I would one day perish and my Darkrai would be master less,"

"So you rather give up your own soul than let Darkrai be a free pokemon? You make me sick,"