Chapter 16-Cold Heart

The   wind was cool and nice that autumn morning. The crew was hiking  through a trail of wonder. Slowly climbing their way up a slope into a  narrow trail through a valley of snow. Ash turned around to meet the  faces of his fellow explorers, wiped his nose and looked back at the  scenery of the valley. Ash tucked his hat and rearranged his scarf before finally sitting down“I think we  should rest here” Ash suggested. “It’s best to do that Ash, the winter is  nearing,” Cynthia agreed.    

Cynthia   sat down and rested her exhausted legs. The group began setting up  tents while the pokemon helped set a fire and gather food. Iris began  making dinner from the fruits the pokemon gathered,  Ash and Dawn help  set up the tents with Cynthia. Once they finished, She pulled out a canister and slowly sipped her  chrysanthemum tea.  Dawn and Ash sat together quietly smiling at one  another’s passions and goals in life. Iris tended to the fire to make  sure it did not go out during the night.    

Cynthia   took a deep breath “I admire your desire to become masters. I wish to  help you by giving you the training that my friend once gave me." "I would like that,” “We will  start tomorrow, before winter falls, we must  settle in a village first." “Thanks for helping us so far,” Dawn smiled  softly. “It is my pleasure, if I am to  leave this world one day. I would choose two people, those two will be  the ones I pass the torch to. Ash and Dawn, I want you to be the new  champions” she pointed  at them.   

Iris  smiled  at her humble words, then  tended to the fire before going back  into  her tent. Ash and Dawn bowed to Cynhia and crawled back into their tent  together. Cynthia was left alone for a while, She noticed the sun  finally setting. An autumn flower slowly floating into her palm. 

“A  lavender,” Cynthia whispered holding it in her hands. “This is the  flower we used to gather in my childhood days.” 

Cynthia   yawned and wentback to her tent to sleep. The night was peaceful but  sleep took it’s precious time arriving.  Ash and Dawn lay still looking   at the moon through their tent. The future was as bright as the moon for  them. 

“We should get to sleep” Ash leaned over to sleep. “Good night Ash” Dawn replied back going to sleep. 

The   sun rose again, the flowers rustled slightly, the  lavender was purple,  bright and warm. It’s bright aura encircled the camp  ready to circle the tent. Ash and Dawn crept out of their tent. Dawn  brushed her hair, and Ash began training. Cynthia stood still near the  lavender while Iris began making  breakfast. Cynthia held her arms in her chest sighing  then slowly  walked to Ash and Dawn. 

“Your  training  begins,"  “Right,” Ash and Dawn said together. “This way, we   should get to the village nearby first before the winter falls upon  us.”  

After  breakfast the  group hiked through a trail of flowers. Cynthia seemed unable to  pay attention she gazed at the flowers most of the time thinking,  remembering. Ash seemed worried, but tried to ignore it. Dawn  smiled  briefly, surrounded by her friends and filled with passion, dreams  and goals of a generation. She felt almost invincible. Iris followed, happy to follow destiny and feeling that one day she would  tell this story to her children in the near future. The town could be  seen in the distance. It was a small settlement that was placed above a small  hill.    

“The  town is near let’s rest here then  after resting we will be able to train again” Cynthia trudged forward  again with those words. “What will  we do once we are masters?” Ash asked  Dawn curious for her response. “Like all great people we will help our  friends become better people and continue the fire and dream that  Cynthia has. That is what I believe.” Dawn said with great pride.