My Brother's Best Friend - One-shot Competition

Lee ‘Badass’ Adams POV

“Get out the way!” Trent screamed pushing innocents in the corridor against the wall, effectively creating a path for us to run through. We were getting confused and agitated looks at the students around us, I think they were a bit a hungry –as it was lunch time, from the ‘oh so’ hard work they must have been doing. I mentally rolled my eyes at the thought.

I looked behind me and jerked forward, picking up the pace so quickly that I nearly bashed into Trent. “Ah!” I shouted. “Move Trent, she’s there!” I pushed at Trent’s back making him go faster, I could hear his chuckles and I could just imagine his face lighting up with a massive grin. I was breathing hard, surprised that I hadn’t keeled over yet - considering the lack of exercise I do, but I still managed to have my signature cheeky grin on my face as I escaped the clutches of my teacher.

“Mr. Adams!” I heard her screeching behind me. Why was she just calling my name? Trent was with me too. I just laughed aloud and ran faster, pushing Trent to the side then launching through the crowd, moving more of the students. Eventually we came to the end of the corridor, breathing heavily and laughing. I couldn’t contain the excitement coursing through my veins as I bounded up the concrete stairs, Trent on my tail.

Damn, it was times like this I wish I had my black Converse, but no, I was stuck with my Vans because I left them in Parker’s Ford Edge.

I could still hear the screams behind me but they were fading rapidly so I’m pretty sure we lost her. Damn Mrs Wetherington, she’s always on my case. I mean, yeah, I talk a lot. But come on, how can you sit in a class for hours on end and not expect a student to say a few words? I admit, my words may have been more of an essay... however, that still defeats the point of my statement. I can’t not talk, it’s just not in my genes.

Plus, I was only talking to Trent about fizzy beverages. Coca-Cola, in particular and interesting facts behind their success. Actually, did you know that when Coke first came out in 1886 it was used as patient medicine? The carbonated water was good for your health. I know.

Crazy right?

Anyway, because of non-stop –necessary, talking. I got a detention. On the outside I tried not to look affected too much, but on the inside I was slightly agitated and slightly amused. If I had have known a tiny bit of conversation about random facts would annoy a teacher so quickly I would have done it all the time. I mean, I always did it, but since coming to Cornerstone, I seem to be doing it a lot more frequently.

Yeah, you heard.

I’m at a boarding school.

And, yeah, it is as lame as everyone would expect it to be but I have to stay here. For Parker’s sake anyway.

Ah, crap.

Parker!

He’s going to kill me. I mentally shrugged, I’m sure I could skirt my way around him somehow and get out of this.

“We made it!” Trent shouted and I hadn’t realised we had stopped in a dark room. The four walls were extremely close together, enough that I could almost touch the tips of my fingers from one to the other. I started to rub the back of my neck, not feeling right being in here, but I couldn’t show a weakness to Trent.

“Yeah,” I replied, hoping my voice didn’t tremble. “If I had have known that hiding in a small janitors closet was going to keep Mrs Wetherington away before, I surely would have already done it.”

I could hear the sarcasm in my tone very clearly, which was obviously intended, but some people hated my sass. Why? I had no idea. Luckily, Trent just chuckled and rested his back against the wall.