Chapter 4

The young boy trudged through the thick blankets of snow across numerous paths into the abyss of snow and clouds. His companion held tightly on to his shoulder and continued into the endless frontier. The two walked further up a pass which led to a large peak. The peak overlooked a large plain of snow where a small town settled near. “Fiori this is where our journey begins again” Ash said. Ash carefully walked down the path into the town making sure not to trip. The path in a way was nature’s stairs allowing him to easily reach town without falling off the edge. “Nice and steady I’ll start out slow. That way we can win the battle together and that way we’ll defeat the Fiori league” he told pikachu. “Pika” he nodded. Suddenly a loud voice made him jump. He lost his balance and began to roll downhill. He bounced and bounced before finally collapsing at the bottom. “Ash you should be careful where you’re going” a young girl with purple hair told him. “Iris is that you? He got up. “Yes, you look pretty bad c’mon the professor should be here somewhere in this town” Iris encouraged.  Iris rushed off into the town forcing him to follow after her. “I heard the professor lives just around the corner,” the young girl cheered. She suddenly bumped into a man. The boy had purple hair, shirt and jeans matching his hair color and a hostile glare. “Hey watch where you’re going” he shouted at her clumsiness. “I’m sorry sheesh” Iris snorted. She dragged Ash to the professor’s lab straight into a neighborhood of wooden cottages.  She walked a few extra steps in fron of a large abandoned building. The building seemed to have been burned down. “Wwhat happened?”Iris gasped. A boy came by and looked at the two “oh this used to be the professor’s lab before it got destroyed.” “Who did this? We really needed starters badly” Iris whined.  “I could give you something. I have a few pokemon that need to be adopted at my home.” he told both of them. “Sure,” Iris and Ash followed after him.

The two were led by the boy to one of the nearby cottages. He invited them inside and pointed to a few pokemon “Pick whichever one you like,”  “I don’t need any Ash because Ash does all the work,” “Oh so this is Ash,” he opened the box offering three pokeballs. “It will help you start. They may not be rare or anything, but they should do. The pokemon are Torchic, Turtwig,” the boy warned.”Be careful though some pokemon can change into unpleasant surprises,” “Surprises?” “It’s a long story and I hope you never get to find out,” Ash nodded at his warning and left with Iris. They traveled through the woods for a few days and set up camp in a distant part of the woods for the night. Ash was thinking silently a few hours afterward about what the boy meant by unpleasant surprises. A noise startled him, and he exited the tent whispering for Pikachu to his side. He scouted for what made the noise, but nothing was there. Ash was about to re-enter the tent but then he felt something cold brace against his shoulder. Ash turned back and saw a ghostly creature glaring at him being illuminated by the moonlight. Ash called for his pokemon and shouted for Iris to wake up. Iris jumped out of bed and looked at the creature face to face. “What is that thing?” she panicked. “I don’t know but it looks like it wants to fight,” The creature raised its skeletal, bony finger and swung at them.