6. Arrangements

He wasn't great at waiting.  As a matter of fact, it was his least favorite thing to do.  It made him anxious, which is why he now found himself pacing back and forth across the floor.  He only paused when he heard a noise, thinking that maybe Sirius and Lupin had made it back, then started again when he realized it was nothing but the old castle settling.  It seemed like hours had gone by before he finally heard the faint creaking of his office door opening.  Dumbledore whirled around just as Sirius, Remus, a young woman he slightly recognized, who was carrying Harry Potter in her arms, and Minerva McGonagall walked inside.

"Albus," Minerva said breathlessly, hurrying toward him, "I tried to inquire about them bringing a stranger into the castle, but they wouldn't listen."  She frowned deeply.  "After all that's happened, I don't think we should be letting just anyone come in here!"

Dumbledore smiled.  "It's alright.  I asked them to come back and they informed me that they were bringing a friend that I assume is this young lady.  Perhaps you noticed who she brought with her?"

Minerva had been so busy trying to place the young woman's face (her memory being as dreadful as it was these days) that she hadn't even noticed that she was carrying a child in her arms.  Her mouth dropped open.  It was Harry Potter.

"Goodness me," she said placing her hand over her heart.  "The rumors must be true then.  Lily and James-"  She paused.  Her eyes were filling up with tears.  

Albus nodded.  "I'm afraid so.  I hadn't had the chance to inform you."

For a moment, McGonagall looked like she might swoon.  Remus noticed how pale she had suddenly gotten and flicked his wand.  A chair flew near the back of her legs.  She glanced back, feeling the wind from the moving chair, and plopped down.  Sirius and Remus stared at her intently, half expecting her to pass out.

"Are you alright?" Serena asked.  Her voice was dripping with concern, but when Minerva glared up at her, she silenced herself immediately.  It was as if she were accusing her of something.

"Who are you?"

Albus pressed his lips together.  He was wondering that himself.  He had seen her somewhere before.  He was sure of it.  But where?

Serena looked down at Harry, who was calmly playing with a strand of her dark hair.  She wasn't surprised that Minerva didn't remember her.  She had never had her for a professor.  Transfiguration wasn't a class that she took in her first and final year of Hogwarts.  She had a N.E.W.T in both that subject and Charms before she ever started going there.  The only other time she had ever seen McGonagall was in the Great Hall during feasts and, of course, at the sorting.  She gazed into Minerva's calculating eyes.

"A friend, if you'll let me be one.  I attended Hogwarts, but for only one year.  My last year.  I was homeschooled before that by my parents."

"Ah," Dumbledore said.  "I remember you now."

Minerva remembered too.  She and Dumbledore had decided to let her come to Hogwarts huddled together in this very room.  She had known of both of her parents who were great Aurors.  "You're Jennifer and Patrick's daughter."

"Yes."

"Serena.  Is that right?"  Dumbledore asked.

She smiled.  "Yes."

"You have changed so much," Minerva stated.  "I only saw you once before.  You were such a little thing then, but you were wearing a big smile."

Serena's cheeks reddened.  She got so embarrassed whenever someone spoke of her younger self...or at all.  She hated compliments for that reason.  Her smile broadened.