rEscape- A short story: tommorow when the war began short

Escape

My heart was pounding. I'd just driven up to the hospital with Corrie in the back. I could hear her rasping breath's slowing and I knew she was going to die soon. I took a deep breath and started beeping the horn. Almost immediately the soldiers started pouring out of the hospital, guns raised pointed at me. I got out the car hands raised slowly to show them that I wasn't armed. I'd pointed to the back of the Landie and three soldiers approached the back and opened the door.

They yelled something in their language. A person ran in the door and came out with five medics and a stretcher. I quietly released a breath of air that I didn't know I was holding. They got Corrie out of the back and got her into the hospital, and then they turn on me. My heart starts beating franticly. I didn't want to be shot. Lee made it sound so scary. Lee. And Ellie. And Homer and Fi and Robyn and I suppose you Chris. I hoped I got to see you guys again.

They started pointing me in the back with their guns, pushing me towards the back door. I started to turn around, to see what they've done with Corrie, right, but one of the soldiers hit me in the nose with the butt of his gun. I felt myself slipping away. The last thing i remembered was how cold the ground felt.

* * *

I woke up after what seemed like hours. What a bad dream, I'd thought, Thank god that didn't actually happen. "So you're awake", said a cold menacing voice. "It's about time you woke up". I froze. This was not the type of voice you wanted to wake up to, especially when you have a killer headache. "Calm down Homer" I had said "I got Corrie to the hospital, just like you said. And why am I strapped to a chair"

All of a sudden a light switched on. I blinked a few times to make my eyes adjust. "So there are more of you" said that scary voice again "Tell me where they are and I'll let them treat 'Corrie'".I froze again. "But she's dying! You have to save her!", I'd said desperately. "Why should I do anything you say, tell me where the others are and maybe I'll spare her" and with that another light switched on. It was Corrie, she was bandaged. Then he pulled out a knife. "Wha wha what are you going to do with that knife?" I'd asked, suddenly more scared

"I'll cut her till-". Suddenly, his words were cut off by gun shots and the sound of people running around screaming upstairs. "What the hell is going on up there?" he'd said, switching the light off. All of sudden the door was rammed open, and five people burst into the room. "HANDS UP" yelled one of the men. "Where the hell are they?", the man with the gun said, the nose of the gun pushed up against the man who was interrogating me's throat.

He pointed a shaky finger at me and said hoarsely "Over there". Of course, they couldn't see me, so the man with the gun said "Alec, hit the lights". "Okay, Jace" said Alec, and flipped the switch. "Corrie!" I'd said looking over at her. She'd looked horrible, her face was a sickly grey colour, and the bandage was bleeding. The man with the gun, Jace, said to a tall, tanned, amazonian looking girl. "Isabelle, go check if the girls alive". Isabelle walked over and checked her pulse. "I'm sorry, she's dead" said Isabelle, and I barely even registered when Jace shot the man's throat out. I couldn't even think it. Corrie was dead? No,no,no,no,no, it couldn't be possible, I'd thought. "C'mon" Jace had said "let's get you outa here"

* * *

The rest was kind of a blur. I remember being cut from the chair, then being led out of the hospital, while other people where led in. Some people where already collecting the bodies. Then I remembered being feed soup and being told I was okay to go. I'd walked of aimlessly through the crowd that had sprung up, seemingly out of no-were, shouting to family members.

Then I'd seen someone I knew. "Mum, Dad" I'd shouted out and rushed over to them, hugging them till we were all sore. They told me that they were so, so happy that i was alive, and the it was a good thing that we had all gone to hell when we did. And, well the rest you guys know. So what have you been up to since I'd left?

The end