Chapter 10

“Really now?”

        All I could do was stare at Demitri and Skylar as I heard Megan and my mom in the background. I could hear the sounds of metal keys jingling so I knew they were going inside to give us some privacy. When I focused my attention back on the FBI agents, I couldn’t help but wonder why they thought Bradlee was the killer. It was only the first day. At least wait a week or something to make that decision.

        “We have reasons to believe he is,” Skylar spoke up when he saw the look on my face—disagreement. “When you told Bradlee your name was Avery there was a slight pause in his hand movements, and when you were having lunch, we saw him looking at you strangely, almost like he was trying to figure something out. Also, let’s not forget about gym class. It seems like he was glaring at you, almost challenging you in a way. I can’t help but think that he knows you’re up to something.”

        “Yeah, but it’s still too early to tell,” I countered back with. Even though Skylar did made valid points, we can’t exactly accuse someone without hard cold evidence. And right now, it’s way too early in the stage to make a decision, even if it’s only a guess. “Let’s give it a month before making any conclusions,” I suggested right after.

        “Lily,” Demitri sighed, the light in his eyes dimming. “We don’t have a month to figure this out.”

        My eyebrow arched down in confusion. “What do you mean?”

        “Did you forget?” he asked, “the killer kills every first friday of the month. We only have less than four weeks before the killer makes another move and strikes again.”

        “Oh shit.” My eyes widened at that fact. “You’re right!”

        He chuckled quietly at my surprised reaction. “Of course I am.” He laughed once again, before his face turned serious, the laughter gone. “Anyways, for the next few weeks, you need to get closer to them, especially Bradlee. With winter break coming up at the end of December you only have a little over two weeks unless you can get them to spend time with you over the break, otherwise that’s all the time you’ll have with them.”

        “Great.” My eyes fluttered close in annoyance. “I totally forgot about winter break. Is there even enough time to build a strong friendship with them before then?”

        “Well,” he started, “it looks like both Hunter and Ian took a fast liking to you. Like I said, you’ll just have to work on Bradlee, but I have no doubt in my mind that both Hunter and Ian will be wrapped around your little finger in no time flat.”

        “But not Bradlee, right?”

        “He’s definitely a little bit more difficult than the others . . .” Demitri muttered truthfully scratching the back of his head. “Especially since he doesn’t like talking to anyone.”