the beauty of the arrow

Have you ever had a day where you felt exhausted, tired, even a little hopeless?

You are so not alone. 

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have days like this. I’m having one today myself.

The expectation for what life “should” be like is so high—and those culturally and self-imposed expectations significantly widen the gap between where we are and where we think we should be.

The thing is, not every day is going to be fun or feel energizing. 

Even if you have your dream job, some days you’re going to have to do things you don’t really want to do. Not every relationship is a blast all the time—the most meaningful ones require ongoing energy and refinement. not every journey will be a straight shot from point A to point B. It can feel like you’re going backwards sometimes—and it’s frustrating. 

So frustrating that you don’t realize the backwards movement is meant to launch you into something incredible. 

If you’re trying for something you really want—I mean, something that truly, deeply matters to you—I promise you, you’re not going backwards. 

You’re being prepared. for joy, for success, for greatness—even if those things look different than you initially thought they would. 

If you’re in a funk or going through a rough time or not hitting a goal you set, the question shouldn’t be “Why am I failing?”

The real questions are: what am I learning? How is this preparing me for something bigger than I could’ve planned on my own? What action is required of me to feel incredible about the process, regardless of the outcome? 

When one door closes, forget about finding another one to open. 

Take a step back. far enough to realize you’re trying to get into a small cottage, when you’re really meant to march toward a castle. 

Do a gut check— are you giving life everything you’ve got? 

If not, come up with a plan to give it everything you’ve got. this is set by no one else’s standards but your own. tackle that plan. 

And if you are, step back. far enough away to see the bigger picture. 

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. if you feel like life is dragging you backward with difficulties, that means you’re being prepared for the launch of something incredible. The longer you feel drawn backward, the further you’re meant to go.

Just focus. keep aiming. 

And when life finally releases the bow, don’t resist. just soar—and enjoy every minute of the flight. for you will touch down again, ready to draw another, bigger arrow back. preparing for a longer flight to propel you into bigger adventures. 

This is the glory of life. 

Not the bullseye....but the bows and arrows.