Number Thirty-Two

"Letting go doesn't mean that you don't care about someone anymore. It's just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself."

Chapter Thirty-Two

His nails left scratches on the arm of the plastic chair where he was seated. Taking deep breaths weren't effective in calming him; there were too much negative feelings inside him he felt like a volcano about to erupt. The urge to kill anyone within sight was so strong that he had to use all his will power just to stay in place. Slowly, gradually, everything became black, ringed in red. His muscles were trembling. He was going to lose control.

Did Falcon know all along? Was that the reason why someone UnGifted like him managed to escape death against someone who had power over lightning?

He had been played like a fool. What now? What's going to happen? Could he pretend that he knew nothing? Was he capable of tricking the Master and the rest of the organization?

"Drink."

Krad raised his eyes. There was a cold can of Budweiser in the Japanese agent's hand. Without hesitation, he finished it in one swig. His throat felt like it was on fire. Surprisingly, it somehow made him feel better.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it."

He wanted more, but he couldn't find it in him to ask his fellow Equation another favor.

For some time, he closed his eyes and allowed the cool breeze to lull him into a state of detachment. He tried to imagine the pitter-patter of the spring rain, the gentle waves of the Pacific Ocean, and even the serenity of a snow-clad wasteland under the silver light of a full moon. It was difficult. All he kept on seeing were the scarred face of a man he now knew to be his father and Faye's frightened form when he found her helpless and naked more than a month ago.

"What do you plan to do?" Arashi asked quietly. He took the seat directly opposite him.

Krad had no idea how to answer. He was the son of his Master's greatest enemy. What was he supposed to do?

"Ivan said that you can meet him if you want to know more. He'll be waiting for you in his hometown in Russia."

"Didn't he tell you everything?" he stated flatly.

"No. He mostly told me things about the Light, not Falcon."

Krad was the son of the notorious leader of the group that tortured Faye. How twisted could fate really be? How would Faye react if she knew?

His memory had returned, but what good did it bring? Nothing. Every single moment of his life had been a deception. He was no orphan. He wasn't saved by the Master. He was an ignorant puppet of the organization, the Master's ultimate trump card against the largest threat to Creed.