Chapter Thirteen

***Remember, a finished, edited chapter will have an asterisk (*) next to the chapter title. If the title does not have an asterisk (*) next to it, don't complain that it doesn't make sense. ****

I woke up with Roger's arm slung over my stomach. I wore one of his t-shirts and a clean pair of panties. My cheeks warmed as I thought back to last night. This was the first time I slept in his bed after nearly two weeks of couch sleeping. I wasn't sure how smart it was to give into Roger like this, but his bed almost made it worth it.

I strained my neck to catch the time from the clock on his bedside table. It was still only six in the morning so I decided to enjoy this time while I still had it. I snuggled a little closer to him and he stirred in his sleep, tucking me closer into his embrace before letting out a deep breath, still asleep. My lips quirked up and I nestled my head into his chest, perfectly content.

As happy as I was to be cuddling with him, I couldn't stop the nagging thought in the back of my mind. He was my kidnapper. This is crazy. But Emi's talk popped into my head. It made sense, what she said. In the end he had to pick someone, he didn't really have a choice in that. So the question was: should I be mad at him, or mad at his government? But wasn't my submission to Roger just submitting to the government anyways? My head and my heart hurt. I barely knew what to think anymore.

I had some questions about his planet. For one, why were all of their names so non-alien like? Why did they speak english, and wear normal clothes? It didn't make sense, I thought aliens would be so vastly different from us but really it's like I am on a really technologically advanced earth.

I glanced up at Roger's sleeping face, and frowned. What secrets is he not telling me? He must know something, he's in the military after all.

I shook his shoulder lightly, and he stirred, opening one eye.

I looked up at him, doe-eyed.

He frowned at my serious face and opened his other eye, letting out a big yawn.

"What's wrong?"

I swallowed, "I have some questions."

"About?"

"You, this planet, you ought to know something and haven't told me."

He looked a little uncomfortable, "Okay," he was hesitant, "What do you want to know?"

"Why does everyone here seem like humans? And why do you all have normal names?"

"We are humans, Nat, I've told you that," He sighed.

My eyebrows knitted together, "Okay but even so, you're from a totally different planet. And yet you have Chinese food and makeup. It's just so similar to home here, why?"

He shook his head and yawned, "Why do you have all these questions so early in the morning?"

I pursed my lips, "It's bothering me, I need to know."

"The answers to your questions isn't exactly information I'm supposed to share," He watched me with a flat look.

I looked down but smiled at him nonetheless, hoping my charm would win him over, "But you'll tell me anyways?"

He was still for a moment, just watching me and thinking.

"I can tell you some things, I guess."

I grinned, "Do."

He rolled onto his back and looked up at the ceiling, so I propped my head up and laid on my side to look at him.

"You're familiar with the Space Race, yes?"