Chapter 31

Chapter 31

To say that I was surprised to see Martha would be putting it mildly. The smug smirk on her lips made me angry, especially because I had plenty of things to worry about before my bitchy cousin.

Martha being there and not looking shocked was proof enough that more people in Knight Pack knew I wasn’t dead. I couldn’t say that I wasn’t disappointed because no one in the pack was outraged by the lies Derek and Tristan had told about my death.

“And you are looking… no better than usual,” Martha remarked, eyeing me with distaste. Her eyes roamed around my body, looking at me disapprovingly and with bitterness that she couldn’t hide.

“Come on, you gotta admit that was a bad insult,” I told her.

I was used to the perfected taunts that she used when she didn’t like somebody. She was a master at making people feel bad. I knew first hand—I’d put up with her for years and no one had ever done anything about it. My mother used to think Martha just teased me playfully. My dad was too busy to notice.

“What? Now that you’re a Luna, you think you’re all that?” she asked, her eyes narrowing to slits. She resembled a snake so much in my mind, it wasn’t even funny.

Clearly, my view of Martha had only grown worse with the time I’d spent apart from her. I’d changed, although it was obvious she hadn’t changed at all.

“What are you doing here? Your taunts are lame, and you’re the one who’s looking a little rough. Long trip to my pack?” I asked, emphasizing that she was standing in my territory.

Her growl was screechy. How she achieved that, who knew. She was pissed. When she tried to step closer to me, Brandon was quick to block her. He’d been eyeing her distrustfully the entire time.

“Seriously, what do you want? You’re way out of your range here, Martha. I won’t hesitate to have you locked up,” I warned her.

“Why are you surprised that I want to see how you’re doing? Locus Territory, who would’ve thought,” Martha commented, looking around the diner.

“Out,” I ordered, nodding towards the door.

“I came here to talk to you,” she said, finally getting to the point, and looking slightly alarmed by the way Brandon was glaring at her.

“I meant we are going outside to talk. There are humans here,” I said, lowering my voice.

If Martha wanted to make a scene, I wasn’t going to stop her. But I wasn’t willing to risk anybody for her to throw her tantrum. We were attracting attention. Despite how little she seemed to care about it, we were in my home—my town. I wanted for things to stay peaceful.

Fortunately, Martha was smart enough to listen. She was the first one out the door, of course, in her usual exaggerated walk.

Before I received my Wolf, I couldn’t exactly say that I respected or thought too much about She-Wolves. I envied their strength. But that wasn’t because they were female. It had more to do with the Wolf part. The only example I had of She-Wolves was the one I saw every day in the pack—more specifically, with Martha and her little group of friends.

It was no secret nudity didn’t exactly trouble any Wolf, or how over sexualized some of the She-Wolves in the pack were.

Since it was all I saw in Knight Pack with Wolves my age, I assumed that all She-Wolves were the same.

I was in for a big awakening once I found Liam. Even then I realized that not all Wolves in Knight Pack were the same, but the Alphas did have an expectation from everybody. An expectation for most of the girls in Knight Pack had been to be available. And they were—obedient little sheep.