Asking ashiqtnt

Our next guest is one of my newest favourite writers. I saw him around on Wattpad a bit talking to familiar faces and decided to check out his story and it was brilliant. I am proud to introduce ashiqtnt. 

Question 1. Tell us about your story Survival, how did it come about and what is it about?

To be really honest, I'm not entirely sure where Survival came from. It was one of those disjointed thoughts that became words. I hadn't started writing and I wasn't really sure whether I should, I was judging the smackdowns and trolling/muckin' about the forums. The Pubbers sort of forced me into giving writing a shot and now you have Survival.

On a basic level, it is a zombie story. But I like to think of it as a survivors' story rather than just some protagonists running around killing zombies. It focuses on Viktor and Carol who are trying to get to an army base following a radio broadcast and all that happen in between. There will be a great deal revealed and yet left unsaid by the end of this. Sci-fi was what I was aiming for but looks like I landed in horror as well by introducing the Z-packs. I am glad they forced you. 

Question 2. What first drew me to your work was the Z-Packs, they pretty much nearly scared me to death…how did you come up with them?

I am glad it had that effect. While I was doing a little research for zombies, I thought to myself, 'hang on. How about packs? Like wolves'. Hordes are always there in the classic zombie movies or the crazy running ones like in the 28 Days Later movie. I thought why not give them some intelligence and give the good guys, so to speak, a challenge. Then I realised that a learning zombie is gonna give people nightmares. So I combined all these little things and made up Z-packs. I'm assuming they're very different from your average zombie in the scare factor too.  I still get the nightmares -.- 

Question 3. What are three important tips for writing a horror story? 

Tips? You're asking me? I'm a beginner myself. I can however give a little thoughts on this:

a. Research. At least use Wikipedia. Your readers have the internet, they're not stupid. If you try to put in some lame horror by invoking ghosts and stuff, they'll yawn. Give them genuine descriptions and places if possible. Nothing is scarier than knowing that horror lurks around the corner.

b. Editing and Language. Make sure your language is fit. Read some horror and try to fit in the style of a horror or create your own. Everyone knows horror story settings: haunted houses, mansions, abandoned places, forests etc. You should be able to convey the dread, sometimes it's by descriptions, sometimes it's by withholding descriptions and letting the reader's imagination betray him/her. Next, please edit your works. A little blips are understandable but if your work is full of them, that'll create a type of horror that you did not intend.

c. Plan/Improvise. Have a basic plan ready. You can flesh it out as you go along if you want after taking in critiques and comments. In essence you should know what your story is about, how it should feel etc. but if you get genuine advice about something take it on board and see if you can incorporate it. Especially look out for people who write in the genre, they'll know more and will be willing to guide you properly in whatever way they can. A beginner? These are words of wisdom! *jots down notes* Insightful and amazing advice sir. 

 Question 4. How can writers gain more readers on Wattpad?

 That's a tricky one, Thomas. I've thought about using the SYS but I haven't used it yet. I think you should try and build up a friendly relationship with some people. More often than not, they will check out your works and help you out and spread the word. I have a habit of telling people I meet on here about the good works I've read. And I know my friends on here do the same. A couple of them had even created threads for 'Survival' in the Undiscovered Gems club. I was very grateful for that.