[Chapter 20]

Chapter 20

It turned out that the trial wasn’t just a one day thing, in fact, according to my dad, it could last as long as a month if they didn’t have a lot of evidence to go off of. The jury had to examine all the evidence that both sides had collected and come to a decision as to whether or not Parker would be charged.

Based on what I had seen this morning, I was sure that he wouldn’t be charged with the murder of his sister, as the opposing lawyer didn’t seem to question him about it, but what else they could charge him with, I had no clue.

When the judge slammed his gavel down dismissing the court, I was relieved, and from where I was seated, I could see that Parker felt the same way as his shoulders visibly relaxed. From what I understood he technically didn’t have to be present in court again for another week until he had to give his statement, but if he wanted to, he had the option of watching the court continue with witnesses, questions, and the proceedings.

Since court had adjourned, Parker and I hadn’t left each other’s side, but we also hadn’t spoken much. I was too afraid to say something to upset him, and he looked as though he’d been shaken up with no idea how to go on with his life.

Now, as we sat together on a bench that sat on my back porch, I pulled tightly at my jacket as I cuddled further into the blanket that covered the two of us.

“Can I ask you something?” I whispered, hoping I could be heard over the wind that whistled around us.

Even though my face was buried deep into the side of Parker’s shoulder, I could still see his head turn down to look at me, causing me to pull back slightly. “What?” he replied, his voice dry and worn out.

“Why did you lie about the time of your trial?” I asked wondrously.

“What are you talking about?” he asked in return, but by the way his eyes couldn’t meet mine, it didn’t take a genius to figure out that he was avoiding the truth.

“Oh come on Parker, you can cut the act,” I said, rolling my eyes, “My dad already told me this morning that the trial was always set for earlier in the day. What I don’t understand though, is why you didn’t just tell me the truth?” I continued, my voice twisting with disappointment.

He sighed. “Honestly?” he asked, and I wasn’t sure if the sudden colour on his cheeks was due to the cold, or because he was blushing.

I nodded.

“I didn’t want you to have to choose between me and your exam.” he murmured, so quiet that I could barely hear him. He took one of my hands in his underneath the blanket and starting playing with it. “I knew that if you actually had the choice you might’ve chosen me and,”

I cut him off before he could continue. “It’s not a might Parker, I would’ve chosen you.” I stated.

Even though I could see the ghost of a smile start to appear on his face, he shook his head before it fully appeared. “Exactly, you would’ve chosen me, and I couldn’t let you do that” he said firmly, continuing quickly before I could interrupt again. “I couldn’t let you skip out on an exam, something that could hurt your future, just so that I could have you there to support me, no matter how much I wanted it.”