Chapter 13

Chapter thirteen:

Recap:

“You could have just called me from your balcony Naddy… you knew I would do that, didn’t you?”

“I did” he laughed. I rolled my eyes and smiled, at least we could still joke and laugh with each other. That was a good sign… wasn’t it? “So… about that talk. You want to come over now? I have a fair bit to talk to you about”

I gulped, “I’ll be right over”

“Don’t take too long” he said quietly before hanging up. I held the dead tone to my ear for another few more seconds. He has a fair bit to talk to me about?

That can’t be good.

*************************************************************************************

I stared at my phone in my hands willing for it to sprout wings and grow ten feet tall… just so I had a distraction and wouldn’t have to find out what Nate had to ‘talk to me about’. I tucked it way into my pocket with a sigh and checked to see if I was decent enough before leaving the house.

I looked a mess to be honest.

I quickly changed to denim short shorts and a loose grey t-shirt that hung off a shoulder showing my bright yellow tank top underneath. I slipped into yellow flip flops and was out in the door in a matter of minutes. As I walked, hundreds of reasons why Nate wanted to talk to me flew through my mind and I thought about how it could be about anything.

Last night was a mistake.

We should only be friends.

Maybe he didn’t even want to be friends at all?

I stopped mid-step and my breath froze half way up my throat. Nate was ‘busy’ all day and refused to let me over before he asked me to. I didn’t notice anyone come or go, but I wasn’t even paying attention to anything besides the shadows moving across the ceiling.

What if he slept with another girl…?

Oh my God!

What if he regretted sleeping with me so much that he slept with another girl just as a rebound or to get rid of any memory of me?! What if she was prettier than me? Smarter than me? More fun and more humorous than me? Any other girl would have something over me… because she wouldn’t be Nate’s best friend. She wouldn’t be forbidden fruit.

I shouldn’t go.

I should just turn around and hide under my bed, or maybe dig a hole and bury myself in there. I was already standing like an idiot on Nate’s lawn and I’m sure by now he’s seen me. I heaved a sigh… well, I needed to grow some lady balls and just listen to what he needed to say. In the end we would always be friends, I’m sure of it.

I think.

I didn’t bother knocking and just walked through the door straight into an empty house. “Naddy?” I called out.

“In my room” he yelled back down. I shut the door and kicked my flip flops off before walking up his wood floor stairs. My feet wanted to take their time and I stared at the ground, counting each step as I walked up. After twenty-two steps I hit the second floor of his house and padded down to the room I lived in for the last few weeks.

It was closed and I briefly wondered why Nate would close it when he knew I was here. I shrugged off the odd thought and pushed it open. “So… you wanted to talk-” I started to say as I pushed the wooden door open.

I froze at the sight in front of me.

Nate’s bedroom was filled with lit candles that offered a shimmering glow to the warm room. On the ground Nate had spread a pathway of blood red rose petals to where he stood in the middle. He wore black slacks and a black dress shirt that all matched his black leather shoes. My breath caught when his soft lips curved into a breath taking smile.