Prologue

So, this is a story that's been on my mind for a while. I usually don't do celebrity stories, but I wanted to do something different this time around. I'm sure that you guys will love Landon and Faline, like you've adored Ian and Alex and Kelsey.

This is about Faline's journey into a world she never wanted to enter, for a man she's promised to always be there for.

They're different, so I hope you enjoy it. This is more of a prologue than an actual chapter, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

If you do, make sure you let me know by voting and commenting! It's been proven that I upload faster the more I'm motivated!

Enjoy!

Faline Monroe

If, a month ago, someone had told me that my face would be all over the tabloids for being the lucky girl Landon Oliver wanted to marry, then I would have laughed at their face.

I would have laughed at them because it was ridiculous. It wasn’t because I didn’t like Landon, or didn’t like his band or music. It was completely the opposite. I loved Landon’s music. Why would I hate the songs being sung by my best friend?

Yes, best friend.

I was best friends with the guy whose name girls were willing to tattoo on themselves. The guy girls would rip out both their kidneys to have five seconds to be near him. That Landon Oliver. You might wonder how I got so lucky.

The reason is quite simple. Landon Oliver wasn’t always famous. In truth, he wasn’t always as good-looking as he was today. Cue the gasps. Yes, Landon Oliver went through puberty and fortunately, the media wasn’t there to see him go through it.

I was.

I met Landon Oliver in elementary school. It was his first day of school, in the middle of the school year. In second grade, that was such an unconventional thing, that nobody wanted to be near him. The fact that he wore glasses made everything worse.

Yes, Landon wore glasses, and very few people knew that.

I was always a bit on the quiet side. That was my way of saying that my social skills were severely flawed.

Even then, despite having walked into a classroom where no one wanted to talk to him, Landon held an aura of confidence. It was one of the things I’d always admired about him, even now. He never let anything get to him. Even as the nerdy new kid with four eyes, Landon calmly walked down the classroom, ignoring everyone’s eyes on him, and chose the seat right beside me.

I stared at my desk.

I refused to meet eyes with him. He plopped his backpack down next to mine. His was plain. There wasn’t anything on it. Mine had Bambi on it.

“Hey.” He whispered, looking at me. I slowly raised my eyes, and for the first time I was awestruck. Landon had the prettiest green eyes I’d ever laid eyes on. “Hi, Bambi.” I blinked, then realized he wanted me to say something. He called me by the name of the deer on my backpack.

“Hi.” I said, brilliantly.

“I’m Oliver.” He said, obviously pleased with himself. “Landon Oliver.” He said it in a James Bond tone.

I giggled. “Faline.”

“Faline? That’s a cool name.” He grinned. “I have a sister whose name’s Lillian, but she’s older. She talks on the phone with her boyfriend all day.”

“Oh?” I asked, fascinated with the fact that Oliver Landon Oliver had a sibling. I was an only child at that point.

“Yeah.” He beamed, clearly pleased that he’d captured my attention, but then again, I guess winning hearts was a trait Landon had acquired from the start. “Do you have a sister, too?”

I shook my head. “No.”

His face slightly fell. “You don’t?” He seemed genuinely disappointed. “If you want, you can have mine.”

Once again, I shook my head. A sister who was on the phone all day hardly seemed appealing. “I don’t want your sister.”

“You’re funny, Faline.” He said with a small smile on his face. “My mom was worried that I wouldn’t be able to make any friends, today.” He pushed his frames up his nose. “She thought that the other kids would make fun of me because of my glasses.”

I looked at him, just taking note of his glasses. I oddly had not noticed them until he pointed it out. I suppose they just suited him, nicely.

“I don’t have a lot of friends.” I told him. “My dad says I’m like a wallflower.”

“What kind of flower is that? I’ve heard of roses and lilies and tulips. My mom has a garden, but she’s never planted a wall-flower.” Landon said, clearly intrigued.

I giggled. “It’s not a flower, silly.” I told him what my dad had told me. “A wallflower is a person who doesn’t like talking a lot to strangers.”

“Oh.” Understanding dawned on his face. “My mom never told me that.”

“Your mom has a garden?” I asked, remembering that he just said she did. He nodded, vigorously.

“Yeah!” He said, excited. “Does yours?”

I nodded. “My mom likes planting roses. She says we have a rose garden.”

“My mom plants roses, too!” Landon said, his voice filled with excitement. He was beaming, and I realized I was, too.

“Landon, Faline,” Our teacher, Miss Kendall interrupted our conversation. “Talk during recess, okay? Right now, we’re in class.”

With that, she went back to teaching. Out of the corner of my eye, I glanced at Landon and found that he was looking back at me. He had a mischievous smile on his face and I returned it.

It was that day that marked the beginning of a lifelong friendship. The fact that both of our mothers had roses in their gardens. We spoke about flowers.

The next day, Landon and I brought flowers to school from our mothers’ gardens and exchanged them.

“By giving you this rose, Faline Monroe, I, Landon Oliver, declare that you shall be my friend for life. I will help you when you need it. You will help me when I need you. We will protect and support each other for the rest of forever.” Landon had said. I was giggling like a school girl who had a crush. This was as close to any kind of declaration a girl could get and I loved it.

“I, Faline Monroe, want to say the same thing back to you, Landon Oliver, for the rest of forever.”

Then, we exchanged flowers and our fates were sealed together.