Chapter 6

Annie's POV:

        My body shook with fright. "What-what does this mean?"

        Brandon stood up and came up behind me holding the paper while I did. He was closer than usual. I could feel his chest on my back. Whatever this was, I couldn't help but like it. 

        "Was there anyone, anyone out there that really hated Lauren? Think about it," Brandon reccommended. 

        I tried to remember the last person that hated Lauren. There always was Janie, that girl in her math class. But that was just because Lauren copied off her tests. All the time. "I can't think of anyone that hated her enough for her to have to go into hiding," I sighed, plopping on the bed next to Brandon. I covered my face with my hand, realizing how extremely exhausted I was. Brandon had put his hand on my thigh, and that immediately woke me up.

        "You know I'll help you find her, Annie," He reassured me. 

        I smiled. "You only are because I'm your only friend," I joked.

        Brandon huffed. "I have plenty of friends actually."

        "Oh really? Then why do you only hang out with me," I asked, raising an eye.

        "Because none of them are like you."

Brandon's POV:

        I think  I have actual feelings for Annie. Like, they're real. I feel like if I tell her she will tell me how she doesn't have time for this-us. This is bad, extremely bad. Every time I see her now I get a weird feeling in my stomach. I can't make it stop.

        "How come I never go over to your house?" Annie asked me while we sat in front of the ocean. I looked at her for a long time with out saying anything.

        I finally spoke up. "My house isn't very-uh, welcoming."

        "I'm sure it is," she said, rolling her eyes.

       I looked out at the ocean. "Trust me. It's not."

        "What's so bad about it," she asked.

        I didn't feel like telling her. I didn't feel like she needed to worry about me. I didn't want her to keep worrying, because I know she already has to worry about Lauren. 

        "It's nothing," I replied.

        "Brandon," she eyed me.

        "Annie," I looked at her trying to smile.

        "What's wrong about it?" She kept nagging.

        "I-I-okay I'll tell you," I replied giving in. If I was going to tell anyone it would be her. I sighed, thinking about the load it will give her.

        "Good," she sat, facing me now.

        "Okay. Well it started off when I was little. I was suppose to be watching my sister one night. For about a second, I wasn't watching, and when I turned back she was gone. Someone had abducted her. We looked for her all night. The cops looked for her, everyone was outside. It has been a few years since it's happened. I still am not over it. And neither is my dad," I said.

        She looked at me, her mouth open. "Brandon-"

          "Please, please don't start pitying me Annie," I looked down at the sand. 

        "What am I suppose to do?" She asked.

        "I know, I know, I'm sorry," I said and kept quiet for a few seconds. I thought if I was going to tell her that, I might as well tell her everything. 

        I took a deep breath. "There's more. My dad-my dad has not forgiven me. He-he abuses me. And I've never been able to admit it," I sighed. It was good to finally say something.

        "Brandon!" Her eyes started to water and I could tell she felt awful. She flung her arms around me.

        "Annie-"

        "Don't you say you're fine!" She lets go to look at me. "I have been in the same situation. I know you're not fine. Brandon, you need to leave! You need to leave him!" she shouted at me. "You need to tell someone!"

        "Annie, it's not how it works," I said shaking my head. "He's my dad. He's the only family I have."

        "Brandon, I'm your family," Annie whispered. Her lips collided with mine, and she kissed me. I kissed back.

        Annie wept on my shoulder. This girl, she was different. She was good.