19 - Jade - Cake, Candles & Confessions

Chapter 19: Cake, Candles & Confessions

[Jade]

It is a Friday night and instead of being out partying with friends, I sit at my desk, almost in a trance-like state, methodically moving my pencil over the paper. I'm surprised Mom hasn't come marching in my room, complaining about the loud music. But, I'm in my zone, and when my cell phone starts vibrating a little past two, a smile forms on my face.

"Hey," I breathe into the phone, reaching up to lower the volume on my stereo. "I was just thinking about you."

Caleb laughs. "Good thoughts, I hope."

"Always," I say. I unplug my phone from its charger and move to my bed, where I lie down on my back. "How was your day?"

"Okay, I guess. Well, it was better after I found my keys and made it to work only fifteen minutes late. But The Cherry Kiss was packed, so Carl was in a good mood. He kept the bar open until after closing hour, making us stay late, too. It's good in the pocket, but I wanted to come home so I could call you. You weren't asleep, yet, were you?"

"No,I couldn't sleep, and anyway, you know I like to hear your voice before I go to bed."

"Still, I should've called sooner. Maybe I should have tried to sneak out the back for a couple of minutes, just to call you and tell you not to wait up. I'll keep that in mind for next time."

"It's okay, really. I had a nap this afternoon and now I'm wide awake."

"What were you up to, then, before I called?"

"Nothing. Keeping myself busy."

"Drawing?"

"No. Yes. Just... I don't know."

"You shouldn't be embarrassed. I think you're talented."

"I don't know. It feels weird to talk about my drawing, as if I'm showing people my underwear or something."

"And what does that look like?" Caleb's question warms my cheeks, and I'm glad he can't see me. "You make me want to use my imagination."

"Caleb!" I laugh to hide my discomfort. "Change of topic, please."

"Fine," he sighs dramatically, and I can perfectly picture the way his eyes glint with amusement.

#

Mom drops me off shortly after lunch, just like Caleb asked last night. His idea of changing the topic was inviting me over, and who was I to say no? We haven't seen each other since Wednesday when I still wasn't feeling a hundred percent. Despite the late phone calls and constant text messages, I still can't wait to see Caleb.

Fighting an eye-roll, I wave once more at Mom and wait for her to drive off. It's not like I'm still eight years old and she has to make sure I get kidnapped between the sidewalk and the house. There's a spring in my step as I walk to the front door, and before I press my finger to the bell, I check my hair and clothes to make sure I'm presentable.

The door flies open, but it's not Caleb who greets me.

Jennifer and Sarah look happier than I have ever seen them.

"You're here!" Sarah squeals, clapping her hands while her sister grabs me by the hand and pulls me inside. I have no choice but to follow, and I do this smiling -- their giddiness is contagious. 

Caleb is there when we enter the living room, shaking his head.

"Go do something else for a second, will you?" he says while playfully swatting a hand at his sisters. And when they're running off to the kitchen, he pulls me to him, folds his arms around me and squeezes gently. "I missed you. I almost forgot what you looked like."