Chapter Twenty-Nine: Hope Springs (Edited)

Waking up the next morning I’m surprised to see that I’m not in my own room, but I soon remember that I had come running into Gabriel’s room late last night. Sighing, I relax in his grip leaning into his chest as his arms tighten around me.

“You awake?” He whispers leaning his head on my shoulder.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about uh..” I trial off, hearing him sigh he slowly turns me around so that I’m facing him.

“Ava you don’t have to apologise.” Smiling up at him before rolling out of his bed.

“Where you going?” He questions, sitting up as he watches me walk towards his door.

“I’m going to shower and then I need to call someone.” I mumble thinking about Dylan.

“Come to the kitchen when you finish showering and I’ll help you.” He offers.

Smiling at his words, I nod my head before walking out of the room and down the quiet hallway. Entering my room I grab my trackies and a sweatshirt before making my way towards the shower. As the water washes over me, I think about Dylan and how I need him here with me.

Turning off the water I grudgingly dry myself off and walk down towards the kitchen, as I step off the last step I’m hit with the smell of bacon. Instantly feeling hungry I almost run towards the kitchen ready to devour breakfast.

“Where’s everyone?” I ask round the pieces of bacon in my mouth.

“Out, they figured you might want some space.” Gabriel smiles before shovelling the scrambled eggs into his mouth.

“Can I call someone after we eat?” I question looking at him.

“Yeah, you don’t have to ask me angel.” Smiling I quickly finish eating before running up to my room to grab my phone and making my way back down towards the lounge.

Sitting down on the couch I take a deep breath before typing a number that I have memorised for years. Hearing the ringing start, I feel my heart start to speed up and start to question if I’m doing the right thing, before I can hang up his voice sounds bringing a smile to my face.

“Hey Dylan.” I whisper into the phone.

“Ava what’s wrong?” He asks instantly worried.

“Something’s happened.” I speak, my voice cracking at the end.

“What! What’s happened? Did someone hurt you?”

“No uhm, my dad died and I just…I was wa-can you come over?” I finally breathe out staring at Gabriel anxiously.

“Ava you don’t have to ask me twice, I’ll get okaasan to book my flight tonight.” He promises making me smile.

We make arrangements for a few more minutes before we hang up, releasing a sigh I lean my head on Gabriel’s shoulder watching the video game that he’s playing. He moves his arms over my head so that I’m secured to his side, smiling I lean my head on his chest and move my legs onto his lap.

“After I finish this game I’m taking you out, so if you wanna get changed I’ll be done in about ten minutes.” He says kissing the side of my head as I stand up.

“What do I wear?” I ask looking down at him confused.

“Shorts.” He answers without looking away from the t.v.

Nodding, I quickly run out of the lounge room heading towards my bedroom to figure out what to wear. Opening the closet I pull out my denim shorts and my off the shoulder ‘I woke up like this’ jumper, quickly getting dressed I finish tying up my grey vans just as Gabriel calls me down.