You Are The Only One (Part One)

AN/Backstory so I don’t have to explain myself in the actual writing: A one-shot in which “One” by Ed Sheeran was actually written in the year 2020 and released on an album then, they are both who they are today, obviously being singer-songwriters and slaying the world with awesome hits and just being themselves and such. Their friendship continued even as they both thought they found their one real and true love, but when things with Athina get rough they drift away and then it suddenly ends and Ed is left all alone with their son he’s all but forgotten about Taylor until one day. Purely creative and 100% imaginative. Obviously, nothing is real nor do I wish anything happening in this upon anyone. 

-----

He wrapped pulled the little jacket on the small boy, zippering it up, the pulled the knit hat over his dark hair. He is a complete spitting image of his mother, haunting Ed as he processed the pain of it all, still dealing with it and not sure if it’d be something he’d ever be able to move on from. 

Eight months earlier, when their son was just six months old, was in an accident - he didn’t even know that she was away from home, that she had just decided to take the car and drive. He blamed himself for that - from the time that they got married, it became that way a lot - lots of fighting with no real reasons why. That night, they had been fighting and he took the baby and left to visit his parents, he didn’t say goodbye to her, nor did their son. Walking away in a fight was something he never wanted to do, but he didn’t - for their son, he didn’t want fighting in front of him as it’s not a good environment, so they left and Athina was alone. 

So now, nearly a year later and dealing with the pain daily, he’d do anything and everything to make it up to his son and be a better father every day than the day before. And today was no exception as he zippered up his own winter coat, picked up John, locked the door and headed down the street. Today, he’d be meeting with potential candidates for a nanny to accompany them on travel for some charity show he had agreed to do. He didn’t want to leave John alone with just anyone, and his parents were unable to come along with him so a nanny was his last option or cancel the four shows entirely. Perhaps finding a nanny, someone to spend some time with John would allow him to be able to go out and meet a girl so that he could have a mother figure in his life. Ed grimaced knowing that no one but Athina would ever fit perfectly - nor would their young son ever remember his own mother in his own memories. 

As he turned the corner lost in thought, the flashing of familiar cameras down the street caught him off guard. In this area of London, it was not so uncommon to have paparazzi but with his son, it terrified him. Ed pulled on his hood and crossed the street to avoid them - he’d have to double around crossing to enter the building where he was meeting nanny’s but that was quite alright to keep him shielded from them. but as he crossed, the cameras followed the person towards he was going and he cursed silently, turning John so that was his head was in the crook of his neck - he was asleep but the yells of the paparazzi would definitely wake him up. He looked up now at the person nearing him and took a deep breath as an old friend was coming his way down the street. He was about to smile and say hello when a body guard approached him asking him to “Please step aside, sir.” Ed nodded and stood to the side, watching the girl he shared a stage with for sixty nights and then so many others walk by him sunglasses and wool coat on, oblivious to his presence on the sidewalk. Maybe the baby threw him off as being unrecognizable, but she looked cozy and warm and he just wanted to say hello - in all the pain he had felt over the last year reaching out to Taylor had never once crossed his mind until now. On the other hand, maybe he thought that her hearing about what had happened would mean him reaching out to her - but it didn’t happen. But then again, the last time he had heard from her was the text he sent her the night Athina told him he’d be a father.