Chapter ~ 20

Ethan

I arrived back into home territory at around 7am this morning. It's Monday so with a sigh I decided I might as well go into school, anything right now was better than going back home to face my father.

I wasn't even sure if it was going to be open this early, but I was going to give it a try. I pulled up in the empty student car park and went around the back to see if the gym was open. When I used to be on the football team, I had learnt that Mr. Lees often forgot to lock up at the end of the day, so I was hoping this was one of those days. I held my breath as I pushed on the door, and then let out a sigh of relief when it opened with a deafening screech.

Did it feel weird being in school out of hours? Yes. Was it scary? No... Okay, what hell it was a little creepy but at least it wasn't dark. I made my way into the changing room and found my football locker I had yet to clean out. I span the code and then pulled out a towel before I completely stripped and left my clothes on the bench. It wasn't like there was anyone around to steal them. My quick shower soon dragged on as I zoned out with my head filled with thoughts of everything which had happened in the last few days. 

It was hard to describe all the different emotions I'd experienced from Quinn waking up, to being with him – finally showing him just a fraction of what I feel for him, and then I had to go and open my big mouth and ruin it once that Brody guy walked in. And then to top it all off, I had to deal with the Bayport meeting and the fact that by doing so, I'd left him – the very thing I said I wouldn't do again.

By the time I finished up in the shower and walked back out into the changing room, I was surprised to see that the football team were in the middle of changing into their football kit.

"Hey man! What are you doing here? Has coach put you back on the team?!" I looked up to see Hans grin at me. He was a good buddy, but he was human.

"Nah, I just had to shower" I shrugged as I walked past him back to my locker.

"Shower? Did you get kicked out of home or something?" He laughed, and by now most of the team was listening in as they changed.

"Nah, just got back late. I didn't really want to go all the way home." I told him with a shrug.

"Ah, good night? Who was the lucky girl?" Hans laughed as he gave me a pat on the back and the rest of the team chuckled with him.

I looked up and caught sight of Nick looking at me with an amused look on his face – the fucker.

I pushed Hans away casually but didn't reply to his comment. He didn't seem to care as he soon struck up a conversation with someone else.

"Why don't you come and practice with us?" Nick called to me as he pulled his shirt over his head. I had already told him all about the pack meeting before I left for home, so It was easy to keep the conversation casual.

"Nah It's alright," I told him as I began to put my clothes back on.

"Yeah come practice with us, it's not even eight yet, you'll only be waiting around until half nine for classes. I groaned in realisation. I did now have a lot of time to waste.

Sighing I reluctantly agreed. Who knows why – I don't even like football.

-

Surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I remembered it. It was actually quite fun. It was only a practice though which was probably the reason for it, there was no pressure to perform. It was fun to just mess around, much to Mr. Lee's annoyance but he didn't say much, I think he was just happy I was trying out football again.

Although I was a few hundred yards away from the main entrance, I knew when Quinn arrived. I was midfield and waiting for Nick to pass me the ball when my wolf hit me with a need to look over. I couldn't see him. The schoolyard was now full of students all stood around. However this didn't stop me from searching – and of course, this searching made the ball run straight past me and offside.