Chapter Eleven: Preparation for the Date

Here you go!  Hope you enjoy!

Chapter Eleven: Getting Ready for the Date

“How ‘bout this one?  Oh, no....  That one doesn’t compliment your dark skin or your eyes.  Hmm...  This one?  Hello, JJ?  You’re not even paying attention, are you?”  Lyssa pouted, upset that I wasn’t paying an ounce of attention to her.  

Angry birds is just too tempting, and I couldn’t resist sneaking my phone under the table Lyssa had seated me at.  

“Anyway,” Lyssa continued on, clearly unphased by my lack of attention.  “I think this is the one!”  She giggled, and then held out a dress that took my breath away.  

Before my eyes was the most beautiful item of clothing that I had ever seen.  If I had not loved my phone--and angry birds--so much, I promise I would have dropped it in shock.  The dress was a lighter fuchsia, with a belt-like thing just below the bust that gathered up into a flower on in the middle.  She had paired the dress with fuchsia pumps and chandelier earrings, along with a necklace composed of several chains connected into one with a flower on the side.  After handing me several more chunky bracelets, which I would never wear if I wasn’t being ‘girlified,’ Lyssa decided that the outfit was complete.  

Glad that her dress shopping in her own closet was done, she finally allowed me to return home after I had been there for more than three hours, attempting to find me a ‘suitable’ outfit for the date. 

To tell the truth, I was incontrollably nervous.  Lyssa had told me a billion times already that he would love me, that I was beautiful, and all sorts of other flattery, but I didn’t pay attention to any of it.  I was ugly, fat, and I would never be a good girlfriend.  I jumped back on my bike, and sped back towards home.  

When I reached home, I stuck my key in the door and shoved it open as loud as I could, alerting my mother that I had returned home.  Didn’t need her coming down here with the baseball bat that she always kept in her room.  Anyways, she had been really tired lately, especially with teaching and everything.  Sighing, I placed my bag and keys on the side before checking my phone.  

As usual after I had left Alyssa, I had a new message from her telling me how much she already missed me and all of that blah.  Aside from the usual spam messages and calls from my mom, that was all the calls I ever really got.  However, today was different as I noticed a new message from an unfamiliar number.

The text said, “Hey, babe.  This is Alex.  I got u r # from a gurl @ school who said she new u.  What’s up?  Psyched 4 our date?  I am... Alex xx”  After I read the text and laughed at how hilariously cocky and full of it the text sounded, I skipped to the kitchen to make dinner.  I had a modeling gig in just a few hours, and it wouldn’t do any of us good if I felt starved the whole time, now, would it?  

After popping a can of soup into the microwave, I quickly ate it and then finished the rest of my homework before getting ready to go to the modeling agency.  I had decided that I was going to drive there on my bike; even though it was raining I still loved the freedom of riding the bike.  This had become an average routine with my mother and I: she would avoid me as much as possible now that I was ‘changed’ as she said, and I would just go about my life as usual.  

I heard the creaking of the stairs; my mom was coming down now, probably to ask how my day went.  Wrapped up in her robe and looking very tired with deep bags under her eyes, my mother had donned an exhausted yet determined face, and I knew that something was about to go down.  Her wallow face had paths of tears flowing down her face, and I knew that she had been crying for quite a while.  She sat down on a nearby chair, straightening her rough cotton business skirt to perfection before beginning.

“Honey?  I have to tell you something important, that you aren’t going to like.  While you were at school, I took off of work for the day and went to my doctor, where I discovered something very serious.  A while back, I unexpectedly began losing weight, finding it difficult to swallow, and indigestion.  When I brought this to my doctor’s attention, she decided to run some tests.  Honey.......  I have cancer.  I could pass any time within the next six m-mo-months.”  

Her voice broke off at the end, and she began weeping in between heavy breaths.  She slowly rose from her chair and walked up our stairs; the stairs creaked dismally with each step.  Every step she rose, my heart plummeted down further, breaking as it fell to the floor.  How did she expect me to go model now, after she had just told me that she could die practically any day?  Well, I definitely wasn’t going to work now.  I slumped down in my hard wooden chair, tears making warm salty paths down my flushed cheeks. 

In between sobs, I pulled out my phone to text Lyssa.  I really just needed someone to comfort me right now, and it was definitely not my mom.   In fact, I should be the one comforting her right now, except that if I even opened my mouth to her I had no doubt in my mind that I would burst into tears anew.  

“Come over now!”  I then launched my poor phone over through the air towards nothing in particular.  

A ring of the doorbell jerked me and stopped me from collapsing into the couch and weeping myself to sleep.  Instead, the world and laws of politeness cruelly forced me to go up to the door and see who it was.  I expected it to be Alyssa, but I had given her a spare key to our door, and she would use it.  

To my surprise, I found that Lyssa had not yet made it to our house.  Instead, the person standing in front of me covered in rain was......

Ashton. 

Heyguys: what's up?  There goes another story chapter, one down, a billion more to go!  Jk.... maybe.  I have a real issue with story endings.  

So what do you think now.  Her mom has cancer?  What is going to happen with her career now, and what is she going to do if her mom dies?  Also, what do you think of Ashton standing there on her doorstep, dripping with rain?  It must be cold out there.... don't you think?  Anyway, her dress is on the side, and I really looked for a long time trying to find this dress.  

vote, comment, and do a happy dance that I uploaded!   Or you know, because you're just so awesome.

~loviedovy12