Summer's Begun

PART ONE

"Okay, cabins are this way. The stage is that way."

"Thanks!"

Mitchie watched Tess hand out the maps and sheets to the new campers and smiled. Sure, it was great that summer was here again...it was even better that Camp Rock was going all year round for people who had left school! Mitchie looked around for Caitlyn, her best friend. She'd received an email from Nate Gray, saying that he and Dana had broken up because he'd realised he was in love with Caitlyn. At first, Mitchie was in complete shock but soon she agreed to help get them together. She knew Caitlyn had been crushing on Nate for ages. And like always, everything had worked out. She decided to give up looking for Caitlyn. Probably she was looking for Nate. That's when it occurred to Mitchie that her boyfriend, Shane, was nowhere in sight.

"Peggy," she said, stopping her friend. "Have you seen Shane anywhere?"

Peggy shook her head. "Brown said that Connect-3 have had yet another breakdown with their bus. When are they going to learn that they need to take a freaking car and not let Jason do the repairs?!"

Tess, Mitchie and Peggy all laughed but inside Mitchie felt her heart sink. She hadn't seen Shane since the bonfire over a year ago and it wasn't the same with email.

"Hey," Tess said softly. "They'll show up. Shane wouldn't miss Camp Rock for all the money in the world."

"You're right," Mitchie agreed. "I'll stop worrying, then!"

Peggy and Tess grinned and the three girls helped the younger campers sort out which cabins they were in.

"We rock!"

A few small groups had sung the camp song We Rock from 2 summer ago for the Opening Jam.

Everyone cheered and stopped dancing. Brown took the mic from Tess and yelled "Welcome back to Camp Rock!"

Everyone yelled and cheered, Mitchie, Peggy, Caitlyn, Ella and Tess part of them.

"I hope you've all had a good year and are looking forward to returning to Camp Rock! As you know, some of you will not be leaving Camp Rock after the summer!"

More cheering.

"But now we're just focusing on now and we...ah. It seems my nephews have decided to turn up after all."

Mitchie whirled round and saw Jason, Nate and Shane jumping out of a four-wheel drive.

"Hello Camp Rock!" the three brothers shouted, grinning. Some of the new girls screamed and shrieked and Mitchie laughed as Brown covered his ears, wincing. "Your attention, please!" he called. "Now, thank you to Tess, Barron, Sanders, Ella, Cam and Shaq for the performance! This year, we'll be focusing on song writing! More on that at breakfast tomorrow! Today's your day for looking around and becoming at home! For senior campers, it's for reacquainting yourselves with your old friends!" Brown looked straight at Mitchie and her group at those words. "Before we depart, can all councillors please stay behind so I can have a few words to them! Enjoy your summer and ROCK ON!"

Everyone yelled and cheered harder than ever and there was singing, dancing and instruments playing as everyone slowly cleared off.

"Mitch! Look!" Caitlyn sniggered, pointing. Mitchie turned and saw Connect-3 trying to escape a herd of screaming girl-fans.

"Girls, please," Brown sighed into the microphone.

"Sorry," one girl said. She batted her eyebrows at the boys and they all skipped away. Jason, Nate and Shane all breathed out in relief.

"You're late," Brown said grimly. "Again. For the second year. In a row."

"Blame Jason," Nate and Shane said in unison, pointing at their brother. "He insisted that he fix the bus."

"Well Shane was the one who said we should take the bus in the first place," Jason defended.

"See, I'm not to blame," Nate said.

Both Shane and Jason stepped on one of his feet and he gave a yelp of pain. "Hate you guys!"

"Stop it, stop it, stop it!" Brown shouted as the other councillors laughed hysterically.

"Sorry Uncle Brown," the three boys said together.

They were so comical that everyone laughed harder. Mitchie met Shane's eye and he winked at her.

"Get over there," Brown barked, pointing to the other councillors. Nate, Jason and Shane hurried over and leaned against the stage with the others. Shane tried to get beside Mitchie but was surrounded by female councillors. He shot her an apologetic look which she grinned off.

"You need to learn to take normal transportation," Peggy sighed, shaking her head.

"Yeah, Shane," Nate muttered.

"You need to learn how to fix a bus," Peggy shot a Jason.

"Yeah Jason," Nate smirked.

"You need to stop being such a prat," Tess said, kicking him. He cussed angrily and everybody laughed.

"Now then," Brown said. "I've got you all here because you're going to be in groups of two taking campers for the song writing classes at three every afternoon. Now I'm sorry but I have to put twenty campers per group..."

"Twenty?" Shane echoed. "Are you serious? That many for two councillors?"

"Well," Brown said. "After last years enrollments we've got so many campers there's not much we can do."

"I guess so," Nate said, folding his arms. "So what about the groups?"

Brown looked sternly at them all. "I trust you all to choose your own groups. Have them chosen by dinner tonight but actually, I think I can guess who's going to be with who."

He turned and walked over to the staff cabin.

"Partners?" Tess asked Ella who agreed immediately. Mitchie saw Jason ask Peggy and Caitlyn ask Nate and Barron and Sanders hi-five and she grinned.

"Hey," Shane said, coming up to her. "How was your year?"

"Boring...as usual," Mitchie said, smiling. "You?"

"Hectic. So, do you want to be partners?"

"Well...no doh, Shane. Man...I can't believe I get to live here all year!"

"It is going to be pretty cool."

Mitchie suddenly realised that as a band member, Shane wouldn't be here all year. Shane seemed to be thinking the same thing. "It sucks, huh?" he murmured. Mitchie nodded. At least she had all summer with him.

"Mitch!" Caitlyn called. "Problem with the junior campers! They've already created havoc!"

Mitchie groaned and exchanged a grin with Shane. Summer had begun.