Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Ten years earlier

I sat in front of my window watching the rain quietly lapping against the window pain. The pitter patter of the rain drops was quite soothing and I quite enjoyed watching the rain. However, it did get boring having continuous races between the rain drops. Therefore it wasn’t too long before I became restless. My mum says I’m not made to be inside because I’m always fidgeting and I can’t stay still for more than five minutes. I guess she’s right because right now I really want to be outside because Noel was really boring when we were inside. All he’d do is sit and read and that’s just boring. I don’t really like books much, unless they have lots of action and fighting like A Clockwork Orange, then it’s interesting.

After a while my restlessness took over and I began to annoy Noel in order to grab his attention. “Noel, I’m bored” I moaned as I tugged on his arm.

“Yes?” he sighed as he looked up from his book

“I’m bored” I repeated

“Yeah, I heard you. What do you want me to do?”

“Play with me”

“Not right now George, I’m reading”

“You’re always reading” I huffed

“Oh George, don’t be like that” Nick said as he tried to ruffle my fringe. But I was a defiant child so I firmly turned my back to him.

“George” he tried again “Georgia?” “You’re just being a baby now”

“No I’m not” I replied as I promptly stuck my tongue out at him

“Haha I got your attention,” he smiled “listen, let me read the rest of this chapter and I’ll come up with a game for us to play, OK?”

After a short pause where I considered his proposal I finally replied with a curt “fine”

Noel then resumed reading his book and I went back to watching the rain. I hate the fact that none of my friends will come and play with me because of the rain, my house is so boring. Mum bought me lots of silly dollies but I don’t play with them because they’re for silly girls and I’m better than all the boys put together. After what seemed like forever Nick put his book down and went to his room. He then came back with his hand heavy laden with papers and colouring pencils.

“OK, here you are” Noel smiled handing me the map “You’ve got half an hour to locate the treasure, go”

With that I was off. The fact that I always won the Easter egg hunt meant that I was quietly confident that I would be able to succeed in Noel’s challenge. After what I felt must have been about three hours, I still hadn’t found the treasure.

“Noel,” I whined “I can’t find the treasure and I’ve looked everywhere”

Noel then began chuckling to himself. “What’s so funny?”

“I know how you are about finding treasure, so I didn’t actually bury any treasure” He spluttered as he was trying to stop himself from laughing so much

“That’s not fair!” I moaned as I crossed my arms and turned away from him in annoyance.

“Hey, just because I didn’t bury the treasure doesn’t mean that there isn’t any”

“It better be good” I warned

“OK, OK” he said “close your eyes”

So, I did as I was told and closed my eyes. I heard Noel rustling around until finally he pressed something into my hands.