Lightyears apart (chapter 1)

New Day

            I am the most popular girl in school, not to mention the prettiest too. I lead the first place cheer squad that cheers for the first place basketball team in the region, I have the perfect boy friend and I have tons of friends, and I drive a Porsche. I also live alone in a gorgeous house on the beach where every morning the sound of waves and birds welcomes me. The first thing I smell every morning is the sweet scent of ocean water. My life is perfect, what more could I want?

******************

Chloe! Wake up! You have ten minutes to get to school and not a minute more!”

I snap out of my beautiful dream and that’s when I realize that it was exactly what it was.

A dream.

Let’s start over; I’m Chloe Mitchells. A grade 11, sorry grade 12 student at Brighton High School with top marks in all classes. Actually, that’s a lie, and I don’t tell lies. So here we go again, third times the charm I guess. I’m a 90% average student with glasses and braces and hand-me-down uniforms that are too big for me and the only reason why I have a 90% average, is because I fall within the very predictable and stereotypical geek with no athletic abilities. I’m the complete opposite of what my dream was like, I live with my parents in a little cottage twenty minutes out of town and I don’t drive, I bike, and no one at school knows who I am.

I’m invisible.

“Clo! You better have clothes on because I’m coming in!”

Dang, second lie! I’m not completely invisible I suppose. My best friend, Peyton Evers. She’s been my best friend since practically birth. Our parents shared neighboring rooms and rolled into each other on their way to the nursery to see their baby girls for the first time. Since then, they’ve been friends and because of that, Peyton and I have shared every birthday, Christmas, Easter and April Fools together. Peyton is the opposite of the person that I am, she’s living my dream, or better yet half true dream. She’s gorgeous, tall, dirty blonde, smart, athletic, popular, rich, cheer squad member and has an awesome boyfriend who is also handsome, tall, athletic, popular, sweet, caring, soccer team player and they are just a bundle of awesome! I hate those two most days, but love them at the same time, trust me it sucks.

“Peyton, does it even matter if I’m wearing clothes? You’re gonna ---”

“What?”

“Of course, if only you had let me finish my sentence you would know what I was going to say and in turn, not have to ask me ‘what’.” I shake my head at Peyton because as I pull my pants on I spin around and see that Peyton isn’t listening to me, she’s on my computer, ON MY SOCIAL ACCOUNT! “Peyton! What are you doing!?!” I run over as clumsily as I can while multi-tasking the run and pulling my pants up. Without a doubt, I trip and I’m sprawled there on the floor of my bedroom onto Peyton’s backpack with a bang.

“Clo, you really need to learn where your feet are and where they’re heading.” I sweep my long, frizzy, quite explosive morning hair out of my face to find Peyton’s big brown eyes looking down at me and there are these two rows of pearly whites laughing at my uncoordinated body and me.

 “I can learn calculus, physics, chemistry and biology. If I could learn how to be smooth, don’t you think I would have?!?!” With the help of Peyton, I got back onto my feet and pulled on my sweater that fell past my thighs. “I’m sure you didn’t come here extra early on the first day of school to mock me Peyton. You’re usually at school as late as possible and you’re hardly ever awake before the hours of seven o’clock.”

“It’s the first day of school! You’re my best friend! So you need to be the first person I show this to you so we can do a happy dance together and so I can know that you approve so I don’t have to feel bad about it and so you can tell me that you love it so I can use it to spoil you with it! And that my dearest Chloe Mitchells, is why I’m here at your house at seven in the morning going against everything my body and my morals are telling me! So, you need to see what my parents got me as an early birthday present!” The ditz that Peyton is, she would pull me by my arm out of my room, bend down and scoop up not only our two backpacks but also my 3 extra textbooks as if she was waking up and rolling out of bed! Mean while, I’m having a hard time keeping up with her as she’s dragging me down the hall and into the kitchen while I try to pull my hair up into a considerably, sort of manageable state of a pony-tail.